Copy Problems on New Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by numediaman, Mar 24, 2007.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Suddenly I can not copy any files from a CD! What is going on here?

I've repaired permissions but I can't copy files from any CD I put into the drive -- even a simple text file can not be dragged from a CD to the desktop.

(There are work arounds like opening the file and doing a "save as" but I want to move lots of files at a time.)

This is the first time i've ever encountered this (its Tiger) and I'm sure there must be a simple answer -- but searching here and the net has not provided an answer.

Additional info: yesterday I burned a CD worth of files and put in my new mac -- it read it and allowed me to copy the files onto the new Mac. Today, I put the same CD into the drive and it won't let me copy the files.

2. numediaman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, no one has responded but I've solved the problem -- though I don't know what exactly it was that finally did it. I did a number of things including permissions, restart, etc.

I'd had some annoying issues with my new Mac that I have not encountered before. The scariest (beside this one) has been with Entourage -- every time I launch it the program closes down with the message that it can open Identities. I then have to replace the identites folder with a duplicate I carry around. It was only when I discovered that it was the stupid version of "Microsoft Office Test Drive" the was pre-installed onto the Mac that was corrupting my files that I solved the problem (by deleting the damn program). Lesson here: Apple shouldn't install versions of Microsoft software onto their new Macs.