Copy-protected CDs

Discussion in 'iPod' started by the_freddinator, Sep 9, 2005.

1. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I got a Kings of Leon CD a few months ago but I can't stick it on my iPod because the jerks at RCA/the band decided to make the (US) cd copy-protected. OKAY- that's fine.

What I was hoping for in iTunes 5 was that they would have FINALLY created a decoder to go from wmx (or whatever the heck it's called) to aac. Alas, I have found that they have not.

Has anyone heard of Apple working on this? It's a good cd that doesn't get enough play by me....

BTW: I went on the customer care site for copy-protection and this is what it says:
    I sent a message through the last link, but I don't know if it went through or not. I was sent to a blank .php.....

But my question is just plainly- Does anyone know of Apple currently working on a decoder for these copy-protected cds?

Thanks in advance.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have you tried putting the disk in the Mac, opening it and just dragging the AIFF files into iTunes, then converting them to the file format of your choice.

I have many 'copy-protected' CDs but have never failed to rip one.

What happens when you put the CD in the Mac? Can you not just use the 'Import' button in iTunes? :confused:

3. the_freddinator thread starter macrumors regular

First off, PC.

Second- I have tried this. The problem w/ this is that the songs are stored on the cd as encrypted wma's. When you try to play these wma's through a program such as iTunes, you get the illusion that the song is skipping. Windows Media works w/ it as do some other players. You can also listen to the music through the cd through the internet.

When I Import the songs, they give the skip-thing.

Thanks, though.

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

What about playing the CD and using a program like AudioHijackPro to tap the sound from the mother program - essentially re-recording it to the hard drive.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ahhh... PC.

I've heard of some workarounds like inserting the CD with Shift key held down or something like that. Sooner or later, someone will come along with some solutions -- you will have that CD ripped.

6. the_freddinator thread starter macrumors regular

Even if this program could work w/ PCs, I wouldn't Buy it just to listen to a cd...

Thanks, though. I might look further in to these kinds of programs. I did a lot of work before I left for vacation- I found all these programs that could rip from any cd...full of lies. The whole time I went through these, I was running Norton Anti-Virus like crazy...