Copy Protection Solution: Encrypted Media Recording (EMR)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shrek, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I just sent a letter to Apple about a possible solution to widespread illegal file-sharing. Many of you will likely flame me for this, but just to let you know that if you do your flames will be completely ignored and you will not receive a reply! :p Here goes. . .

2. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I have just sent a slightly modified letter to the RIAA. :)

3. noht* macrumors member

huh?

where is it?

am i missing something...is this a kind of joke?

if i understand this correctly, you are proposing some kind of dvd-like encryption for audio recordings. you did happen to notice that css (the encryption system on dvds) failed miserably, didn't you? no state-of-the art encryption will ever stop people copying content. also, you'll have to implement the stuff into standalone players - i think people are happy with their cd players at the moment.

so how exactly is this going to "solve the problem of widespread illegal file-sharing"?

wow, i'd like to see how you're going to do that...and what is the difference between the internet and any other WAN?

again, i might be missing the point in this post, but i don't see how randomly listing some properties that could be of use in a new copyright-protection-system has anything to do with 'having a solution'.

just some thoughts

noht

[edit: corrected some typos]

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(Prince Charming) Many of you will likely flame me for this, but just to let you know that if you do your flames will be completely ignored and you will not receive a reply! :p

And if I complement you, I expect you to do the same. :rolleyes:

Research things AMAP before you finallize your project. In the Private Forums (don't worry contributors, this is my story, not anyone else's) I posted a rough draft of something I could send to Apple, so that people could correct me on it and/or add improvements.

Shrek, I'm not flaming you, but at least think before you speak. Speaking of encryption technology, according to the program in my sig., the biggest security gap is an open mouth. In this case, it's an open fist typing away. :rolleyes:

5. JamesDP macrumors member

I've read all of your love letters to Apple, Shrek, and I'm a little bewildered. What exactly is the point? Seems like you're saying, "I will switch to a Mac, just as soon as my demands are met." Are you holding the pizza guy hostage or something?

I understand that you've got good intentions and all, but how are they supposed to take seriously someone who hasn't even bought their product? No computer (or computer company) is perfect - everyone's got some complaint one way or another - but if you like the Mac overall and you want one, how about you put your money where your mouth is and make the switch? Otherwise, what's the point?