Copy User Home folder from one mac to another

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevey500, Aug 5, 2005.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Hello, can someon tell me how to copy a user folder from one mac to another, what I tried was to copy Root > Users > "User folder" from one mac to the other macs "Root > Users > " but the other Mac's Tiger OS is not detecting that user, what do I have to edit/do to show os/x that the user folder is there and to allow me to log me into it? thanks

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Have you tried recreating your old account (with the same name) in System Preferences? You might need to do that before you copy your user folder back (where you would overwrite the new, "empty" user folder with your old one). You may also need to go into the dreaded world of NetInfoManager and type in the path directly under the "home" variable for that account. As you have discovered, OS X does not like you to move your home directory around. I guarantee you there's a way to solve your problem, but they don't make it easy.

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Find yourself a firewire cable, then use Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder. No need to make this any more complicated than you have to. ;)