Copy vs Move File Off Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brsboarder, Aug 17, 2006.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

For some reason, whenever I drag a file from my desktop (where I usually save downloads) to my external harddrive, it only copies them, never moving them. I thought it shoudl simply move the file not copy it, how to I ammend this error.

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

No, this is correct behavior in Mac OS X. When you drag the item, a green "+" should appear on your cursor, indicating that a "Copy" is taking place.

There is a key that you can hold down to make enable the "Move" function during the same action.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Addendum.. this is what happens when one moves data to another volume. If one is drag & dropping on the same volume, the data is "Moved". In order to drag & copy data on the same volume, one uses the Option+click+drag. Anyway, drag & copy to another volume is the default behavior. I wasn't aware that there was any way to change this behavior at all, so I'll be interested to see below:

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Solution:
    Check out the Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts from Apple.
    It states that the key command you're looking for is (I believe):
    • Command-Drag (Move to new location without copying)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW this is also standard behavious on XP.

Drag to same volume = move, drag to another volume = copy, shift-drag to another volume = move, control-drag to same volume = copy.

B