Copying a DVD using Disk Copy??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Toeknee, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Is it possible to copy and commercial dvd using disk copy? does anyone know or tried this? I just dont want to go and make the disk image and then burn the DVD just to find out that I just wasted it. Thanks!

2. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Take a look at this

I've made DVDs using iDVD and succesfully copied them using Disk Copy. But I'm not sure about comercial DVDs. I would say there's a good chance they work the same way. If you want to try it, this is how...

1. Open Disk Copy
    2. Go the file menu and choose: New > Image from Device
    3. Select your DVD drive and click "Image".
    4. Save the files in the image format "DVD/CD master" with encryption set to "none".

Then you simply open the image you made with Disk Copy, and click on the burn button.

Let us know it it works.

3. Toeknee thread starter macrumors regular

Toeknee

hmm yeah i figured it'd be done that way... just need to go out and buy a DVD-R or something. Don't want to use the one that the 'Book came with as thats the one im gonna use to burn our Hawaii movie on. Thanks!

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    99%

Sorry, I am 99% sure this will not work.

I can say this since there are many programs out there that try to copy dvds. So- why would there be a need for a dvd copying program if it is possible just to image and burn a disc?

Go ahead and give it a try, but be ready to have a new coaster. I would like to hear what actually happens.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not even sure you'd get that far. If I remember correctly, there is some, ummm, twisting in the numbers, the files, so that they can't be read in a straightforward fashion.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I big thing to keep in mind about commercial DVD is that they are more compact (hold more data) than a burnable DVD. This is another reason why LotR fits 3 hours on a disc and iDVD fits 1-1.5 hours besides the better compression system. Chances are that even if you can make an image with Disk Copy, it'll be too big to fit on a burned DVD.

7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, say you have a DVD 5 movie (4.7 gigs and under).

Assuming size doesn't matter, would a disk copy backup work? I'm curious too.

8. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: 99%

That was the reason for my only hesitation. But you never know.

9. DVDSP macrumors regular

I believe Disk Copy will only burn a Data disc, not a DVD-Video disc.

Also, I don't think you will find many commercial DVD-5s, most are dual layer DVD-9s and the DVD-Rs that we would use are single layer. Again, that means that the amount of data from the commercial DVD just wouldn't fit on a DVD-R (without more compression anyway).

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think there was a thread on the Apple support website showing you how to use Disk Copy to copy your completed iDVD projects so it must be possible. I could be wrong though.

Still waiting for my 12" PB Superdrive to arrive so can't check myself yet...! :(

Still, I don't reckon it'll work because I bet you those Hollywood buffs have put a lot of anti-piracy protection on those discs...

11. Toeknee thread starter macrumors regular

Toeknee

yeah i figured hollywood would put something to stop the DVD from being copied. Oh well, Thanks for all the posts!

12. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Do any companies make dual-layer DVD-Rs? Not that I would use them, mind you, just curious..

13. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I don't think it's possible for a SuperDrive to burn to a dual-layer disc. So I don't think any companies make burnable two layer discs.

14. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Pioneer just announced the first dual layer burner to come out later next year... sweet :)

15. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

All you lose is a little bit of time and a blank DVD

i don't see whats holding you back.

16. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Find OSex and DVD2oneX

OSex to rip the DVD and DVD2oneX to compress an 8GB DVD to 4.4GB

17. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I've tried this in the past, and it didn't work. There are a few layers of anti-piracy crap on these DVDs that prevent it. A software like DVD Backup gets rid of those encriptions and copies the files. So just use third party applications.

18. alset macrumors 65816

alset

They do. You need a tool such as Fourty-Two. Get it on VersionTracker. There are other apps that rip DVDs, but I am not sure their names.

Dan