Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobos

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Sunnyvale
I recently purchased a PowerBook and am loving it. I use to always make a backup copy of every CD which I would use and then store the original since I'm prone to wreck them. Unfortunately, I can't find a one-click solution to copy my audio CDs in iTunes. Any suggestions? Are there any free/cheap programs that will allow me to do so?

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Why don't you just put them in iTunes? That's what iTunes was for, long before the music store came along.

OryHara

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2004
San Bruno, CA
mcarnes said:
Why don't you just put them in iTunes? That's what iTunes was for, long before the music store came along.
i have to second that, just coppy your cds into itunes and copy what you will. if you wreck a cd you will still have the copy in itunes.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Having lost one iTunes library before let me just say that back ups are your friend. I've got the original CDs, the digital copies on my hard drive and a 40GB selection on my iPod like Solafaa recommends. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Use iTunes for ripping all your CDs in something like AAC@128 (which is IMO the best space/quality ratio and space is always an issue on portables), and use iTunes for listening.

iTunes is not designed to backup CDs, it can be done, but it involves ripping the music in Apple Lossless, AIFF of WAV and then burning playlists back. To backup CDs use Disk Utility to make a CD image and then burn this to a CD-R or, even easier, use a 3rd party tool like Toast which has a Copy Disk function.

BTW, I use iTunes to make "mixed tapes" on CD, all the time from my ripped AAC@128, and those are just fine when played in the car stereo or even on fairly nice hifi setups.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
cds are great, disposable ways to get a handful of songs in your car in a hurry... if i'm going to be going somewhere, i'll put some on a CD, then if it's wrecked by the end of the night, it's no problem. plus if your friends really like them, you can just give them away. don't steal music.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I use cds in the car, there's a holder with 100 cdrs in there.
I've got an AUX module for the headunit so I can plug the iPod in.
I've yet to fit it though.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I only use CD-R's that I have burned from iTunes. Very disposable (something like 5 cents a disc). I never use a master CD anymore. They all went on ebay and more than paid for a new mac.

Agree with mad jew, I have 3 full backups of my iTunes library, each on separate Lacie drives which I rotate. My library is about 40 GB and the whole thing gets backed up once every 4 months. I'm always changing dates, pictures, song ratings, etc. so it's easiest to just backup the whole thing.

All songs at 256 kbps AAC. With high quality headphones such as Grado RS-1 and a decent dedicated headphone amp, I defy any audiophile to spot a difference between AIFF and 256 kbps AAC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.