Copying CD to DMG so it mounts as CD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by madmaxmedia, Jan 22, 2006.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Hi,

I want to copy a CD to my Mac as a DMG, which can then mount as a CD. I've done it before on another Mac, but no longer remember the steps. This is useful for stuff like encyclopedia CD's, when you don't want to have the CD in the drive everytime you use the program.

I've tried some different options in Disk Utility (saving image as read-only, CD master, etc.), but the resulting DMG files only mount as regular volumes.

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks!
    Steve

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

the only way to do this is to make a copy of the CD, save the resulting DMG somewhere, and just mount the DMG every time...

Although, I'm not entirely sure on what you mean by mounting as a CD...all drives, virtual and real, mount the same (or, i would think..)

I mean, like this, right?
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8080

3. howesey macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X still knows the difference between a mounted DMG and a CD/DVD. Some programs I have do not work without the DVD in the drive, making a DVD DMG file and mounting it doesn't work, it still asks for the DVD.

4. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

This is exactly what I mean.

Although I realize that the CD I previously copied may not be mounting as a CD, I may have just changed the icon so it looks like one.

I do have another software app that requires the physical CD to run. I can copy the CD and mount with Toast so that it appears on the desktop as a CD, and the software app recognizes it. If I just make a DMG with Disk Utility, it mounts as a regular volume no matter what so that the software app doesn't see it and refuses to run.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can use Disk Utilities to create a .cdr file. Files with the .cdr extension are CD/DVD masters that can be used to make exact duplicates of CDs and DVDs. They are equivalent to images with the .iso extension. Both .cdr and .iso files mount on your Desktop like .dmg files. However, Disk Utilities will not thwart copy-protection.

6. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

toast does some pretty decent images. my friend raves about it with games.

7. sprale macrumors member

Mac OS X: How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image

Try this, straight from Apple. Just leave out the encryption steps. Or you can create a DMG from a folder, choosing the disk to be copied. (New > Disc Image from folder)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107333

Learn how to use Disk Copy or Disk Utility to create an encrypted disk image, which requires a password to open or become available (to "mount"). This document applies to Mac OS X 10.2 or later.

You move files to or from an encrypted disk image as easily as you can from a non-encrypted disk image. Follow these steps to create one:

1. Open Disk Copy or Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/) Disk Copy is for Mac OS X 10.2; Disk Utility is for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther and 10.4 Tiger.

Tip: With Mac OS X 10.3 or later and Disk Utility, you can click the New Image button and skip step 2.

2. Mac OS X 10.4: Choose New > Blank Disk Image from the Disk Utility File menu.
    Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.3.9: Choose New from the Disk Utility Image menu.
    Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.2.8: Choose New > Blank Image from the Disk Copy File menu.
    3. Enter a name in the Save As field. This name is used for the disk image (.dmg) file.
    Note the location specified in the Where pop-up menu. If you want to save the image file in a different location, change it.
    4. Mac OS X 10.2 only: Enter a name in the Volume Name field. It may be the same as or different from the file name. This is name that appears for the volume when you open, or "mount," the disk image file.
    5. Select a size for the image file from the Size pop-up menu. Choose a size appropriate for the disk's needs. You can always make another one later if you need more space.
    6. Choose a format for the volume. For Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4, you'll probably want to just use the default choice, "read/write".
    7. Choose AES-128 from the Encryption pop-up menu. If you don't pick this, your new image won't be encrypted.
    8. Click the Create button.
    9. Enter and verify a good password in the dialog window that appears. The password may be from 1 to 255 characters long. This password will be saved in your keychain by default, or you can deselect "Remember password (add to keychain)" if you don't want that. You should store the password in the keychain both for convenience and for reducing risk of password loss.
    10. Click OK.

Important:If you forget the password, the data stored in the encrypted disk image will be irretrievably lost. If you have saved the password in the keychain file, it will be available to you there. You should periodically back up your keychain file.

[​IMG]

A disk image with file name of "example_file" and a volume name of "mounted_disk" in Disk Copy

[​IMG]

The "mounted_disk" image on the desktop above the source "example_file.dmg" file