Copying Cd's?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mim, Nov 21, 2003.

1. mim macrumors 6502

This could be a really dumb question...

I've got a load of audio cd's I want to copy (don't want to drag the originals o/s with me...), but I don't really want to shell out the $100+ for Toast. Is there a nice easy and cheap way to dupe my cd's?

I know I could use disk utilitiy....but trying to explain the process to my gf would be a bit of a challenge.

Any ideas?

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

How 'bout just ripping them to aac in iTunes? No more dragging CDs - period!

If you must have CDs, there is a "user friendly", albeit tedious way of copying the CDs:
    1. Import into iTunes in AIFF format
    2. Burn CD with iTunes
    3. Delete songs

A bit far fetched, but only requires a few clicks...

3. mim thread starter macrumors 6502

The only problem with the AAC's is that I'd have to drag the whole mac with me too :)

After googling a bit more I think ripping aiff's is pretty much the easiest way too.

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Guess I didn't think of that :p
    You could also shell out for an iPod, but that would by far the most expensive solution :eek:

I'm so used to hauling my iBook around. I even used to haul my CRT iMac around (though not in planes)...

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

1) Doesn't a burning program caome standard with mac's?

2) if you have a G4 tower do yourself a facour and buy a second optical drive. In AUS we can pic up a 52x52x24 CD-RW for around $70AUD. (you'll get a burning program with that) then copy them on the fly.

6. mim thread starter macrumors 6502

Heh...unfortunately I've got an iMac. There is a burning program too....disk utility (on 10.3 anyway). It's far from the easiest/quickest way to copy a cd though. I think 10.2 had disk copy which would have made a direct image of a cd (?) but unfortunatley I've gone directly from 9.2/10.1 to Panther.

Oh...and BTW...I do have an old 10G ipod - but some things just won't fit. Maybe it's time to splurge on a sexy new 20G. :cool:

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Well, you can always rip the CD's using iTunes, and then burn the playlists again....
    Maybe not most efficient, but easiest perhaps.

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

1) Kind of but it doesn't allow direct copies (AFAIK)
    2) The burning program with the CDRW will most likely be a windows only one so won't help much...

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

put the cd in, copy the AIFF files off the cd to desktop (for example), make a disc image with those AIFF files, burn them back on a CDR? will that not play?

the other option is to rip to iTunes as AIFF and burn it back...