Copying files between Mac 9.2 and Mac OS-X machines

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by haddiscoe, Jul 12, 2003.

1. haddiscoe macrumors member

There may be an insanely simple answer to this but I can't figure it out.

I've got a network with several machines, one of which is an iMac running OS 9.2 and another is a Powerbook running OS 10.2. How do I copy files from the OS 9 Mac to the Powerbook?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Set up the network sharing in OS X using the System Preferences>Sharing panel. (It's Personal File Sharing). Remember to turn on Appleshare in System Preferences>Network.

Now, go to the OS 9 machine and go to Apple Menu>Chooser>Appleshare. If it comes up in the list, great. If not, you're going to have to type in the IP manually.

Go to the OS X machine and go to System Preferences>Network. Your IP is written there. Write that down. Now, go back to your OS 9 machine and Apple Menu>Chooser>Appleshare and below the list there is a button that says 'something something IP' (sorry about that, I just forgot). Then type the IP in the field given and press OK.

If it asks for a username and password just type in the username and password for the OS X machine. There you have it. The disk should show up on the desktop and you can just drag stuff in.

irmongoose

3. haddiscoe thread starter macrumors member