Copying from CD to Hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stateof2005, Oct 4, 2005.

1. stateof2005 macrumors newbie

I am copying some documents from a cd i made to back up my hard drive. However, the cd has some damage on it. Therefore, my pb just sits there for hours claiming that the copy only has "5 seconds". I tried to hit stop to no avail then i tried to restart or shut down but the program would not let me do that. I eventually put it to sleep and removed the battery out of my ignorance. (I know that is not the right way to do it)

Therefore, my question: is there anything similar to control:alt:delete on my pb? It was not locked up. I could still use it but the cd would not eject and it would not stop copying?

Thanks for any insight.

Go STATE

2. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

You could try Cmd-Option-Esc and relaunch Finder. Hopefully that would force it to stop trying the CD.

If that doesn't work and all else fails, you don't have to actually remove the battery. Ctrl-Cmd-Power is like hitting the reset button. It does a hard reset just like you removed the battery, so only use it as a last resort. Anything that's unsaved is lost. But at least it's easier than flipping the thing over to pry out the battery. ;)

3. yenko macrumors 6502a

Repair your HD by booting from the installer CD and run "Repair Disk". Restart and try the CD again. If it fails/hangs again, your files are corrupt and I don't recommend you trying to copy them.

You could try to copy one at a time until you run into the corrupt file, or the file that will cause the system to hang up. Note the file and bypass it until you get to the next one that "hangs". Repeat until done. Not easy, but........

When you're finished, repair your HD again to ensure that copying those files will not cause you problems down the road. :cool:

4. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Why is a hard drive repair necessary? It's the CD that's damaged. ;)

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

.....and attempting to put those files on a good HD that doesn't have issues yet, forcing shutdowns, power-downs, does not cause problems?? :eek:

6. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

As long as the drive has journaling enabled, the occasional hard reset should be fine at the filesystem level. Obviously it's not recommended because you can lose data that way, but your filesystem will be consistent and therefore require no checking. :)

And besides, Apple's filesystem repair utilities are woefully inadequate except for the most basic or glaring problems. Anything else, and Disk Warrior is the only way to go. I can't tell you how many times I've had Apple's utilities bail out on repairing a hosed drive, when Disk Warrior swooped in and came to the rescue. :D

But that's beside the point...

7. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

You could try repairing the damaged cd - often the scratch is on the surface layer, and the read errors are caused by the laser being refracted by the scratch. Use a little metal polish on a soft cloth - it can sometimes work miracles on a cd that is otherwise only fit for the bin.
    If the scratch is deep enough to pentrate the surface layer and affect the aluminium underneath I think you'd be wasting your time though.

8. stateof2005 thread starter macrumors newbie