Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Hello all. just wondering if any of you will be able to help me out.
I have just got a new macbook and want to copy all of my songs from my windows itunes to my new mac. I have searched for guides on how to do it but all seem to suggest that the best way to do it is with an ipod and dont give any more information.

The trouble is that i have mislaid my ipod. so far i have copied my itunes library onto a removable harddrive and then i have copyied that into my music folder on the mac. I thought that when i opened itunes on my mac they would automatically be there. It seems to want me to manually select every folder and import it sepeartely. Is there and eaiser way without the use of an ipod? please help. thanks in advance

kbonney

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2006
Bellingham, WA
Just placing your songs into the music file wont import the songs into itunes. sorry. if you select file --> import --> (your music). It should do it. Good luck.

punts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
thanks for the quick reply. does that mean then i have to manually import every folder. there doesnt seem to be an option to import several at once.

kbonney

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2006
Bellingham, WA
ya you might have to do each folder, which sucks but i cannot remember what i had to do exactly. if you hold down apple you can select multiple things at once but i do not know if this works for the importing menu.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
thanks for the quick reply. does that mean then i have to manually import every folder. there doesnt seem to be an option to import several at once.

You can just select the "iTunes Music" folder and it'll import everything, no need to do it one by one.

punts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
Thanks very much, i overlooked that because every time i clicked on itunes music it just went into the folder. I had been using the import option aswell instead of the add to library. noticed it second time around it would actually let my open it aswell. One problem sorted now and onto the next. going to be a long night playing around. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.