Copying iTunes library from one external drive to another.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fogroach, Dec 18, 2006.

1. fogroach macrumors newbie

I want to copy my iTunes library from one external drive (currently connected to an iBook) to a 2nd external drive (connected to an eMac). The library is almost 60GB and so can not fit on either machine's hard drive.

The music currently plays through the iBook from the first external drive.
    I want to be able to play the same music on the eMac (through the 2nd external drive).

Which is the best way to go about this?

Should I:
    a) Connect the 1st external drive to the eMac and manually drag and drop the music from there to the 2nd external drive, or

b)Use Silverkeeper Basckup and do a backup of the Music folder in the 1st drive to the 2nd drive, after connecting the 1st to the eMac?

or is there not much difference in doing either? Or is there a more efficient option using iTunes?

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon connecting them both to one machine and manually copying the library across is probably the best option. Using iTunes to do it initially may save you some steps later on when it comes to re-associating your library. Of course this isn't so much of an issue now that iTunes 7 allows you to use the OPTION key to choose different libraries at start up. :)

3. bozigle macrumors regular

Well, maybe not the best but here is what i would do.
    - plug the two ext-Drive on the same machine.
    - in preference; giving the new Drive's name in the import path
    - in advanced; poping up consolidate, then "yes i'm sure"
    - going for a coffee cause 60G !
    -then if you're planing to move your externaldrive between the two, copy the files in you homedrive under music iTunes (there are 3 i think) on the other computer.
    - you can remove the files from the first ext-drive, cause they are not connected anymore or keep them there if you're planing to have your music duplicated for eMac and iBook

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I hope this is true because i hate having to manage my Lossless Library and my Nano Library. I always knew about iPhoto and i kept trying it with iTunes 4, iTunes 5 (bless him) iTunes 6 but totally forgot about trying it in 7. This is the best news i have heard today.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thanks so much for this tip, so glad they added this feature.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. I hope it's just a matter of time before they add it to more apps. :)

8. alpinadvl macrumors regular

Ressurecting this post for others looking for a solution.

I did something differently.

1. I copied my itunes library from one external hard drive to a newer external hard drive.

the problem is.... while the files are all located on the external hard drive(s).... the library information and organization files are still located on my internal drive under Users>Me>Music>Itunes....

and this info is telling itunes where to locate all these files... basically pointing to the original (older) hard drive.

---> Solution :

2. Open iTunes. This will default to the original location (the old hard drive).

3. Go to Preferences > Advanced ....

select the "change..." button. (but before you do... take note of the file path... it should be something like this :

/Volumes/[Hard Drive(old)]/iTunes/iTunes Music (or iTunes Media)

now... click on "change..." and find the same named folder "iTunes Music" or "iTunes Media" of the copied, new music location..... select it or "choose folder"

4. iTunes will update the datafile to reflect the new location.... takes some time...

done'

hope that helps others