Copying iTunes library from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GenesisST, Mar 21, 2006.

1. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Hello all,

This might have been answered in another thread, but I failed to find it.

I just received my first Mac (a 17" iMac) and I want to copy my library from the PC to the Mac.

The thing is that the copy was fine (over gigabit ethernet), but I lost all my ratings and checked status (very important: 10844 songs) and playlists!
    I use the checked status to choose which songs go onto my iPod.

Is there way to really migrate my library with all my current song
    information?

Thank you very much!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is iTunes set to manage all your music? If so, then you need to maintain the exact folder structure of your current library, plus two files named iTunes Library and iTunes Music Library.xml which will be next to the default location of your music library folder.

In other words, by default there's a folder named iTunes in either your My Music or your Music folder (depending on whether it's a Mac or a PC). If you copy this folder you'll get music files plus data files (containing playlists etc). It's really then just a matter of putting it all in equivalent spots on the new machine and making sure iTunes is still set to look at that folder for it's music. This is checked through the Advanced tab of iTunes Preferences. :)

3. GenesisST thread starter macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Thanks, that did it!

I need to investigate a little bit more (I tried it very late last night) and I think the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file is generated when you open the data file.

But it may be the effects of new iMac induced sleep deprivation! :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Both files are generated as soon as you create a library in iTunes. Technically speaking, you should only really need the iTunes Library data file, not the XML file. However, always grab both just to be safe. :)