Copying Music to iMac/iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carfac, May 20, 2006.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

hey:

Still getting used to my iMac and Apple in general. I had a passing aquaintance with iTunes in Windows, and always found it lacking in features. Sure, it does good, but (at least in Windows), there are much better products. The one I used- Media Center- was wonderful as a one-source interface into Music, Videos and Pictures. Anyway...

So media center used it's own database system so it could keep all kinds of additional info on my music files. I use WAV files, which is old, so the tags are not saved in the file. Media Center would also save an album cover, whcih was cool.

So I am moving stuff over to iMac, and I decided to change the WAV files over to Apple Lossless (comments on that are welcome, I am still learning. Is it REALLY lossless????). This seems to be the only way to have iTunes add album art, and keep high quality. So, as I import these WAV files, they only come in as "01 Track Name", and I loose all Album and artist data.

I found a place- DOugs Scripts, I think, that had some nice apple scripts to take the "01" and move it over to track number- very cool. But is there any way to have iTunes get the Album/Artist info from the directory structure on the WAV files? (Media Center would do this... I wish they would do a MAC version!) Or should I give up on iTunes and is there a REAL media manager for Mac?

Thanks!

Dave

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Dave,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=202063 might have some useful info about your Music,

On the Mac iTunes and iPhoto make up Media Center (I assume you mean JRiver Media Center) and pretty much have it's functionality, I haven't used it much as I generally found it to be very unstable on my PC (though I don't think that was typical), it seems like a pretty cool program without those damn crashes though.

You can re-import the album art and probably could use an applescript to recover it and add it to iTunes on your Mac.

Good luck!

Eraserhead

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

E-Head:

Yep, the Jriver thing... works really well for me. Went to your side of the pond last month with my 5 year old, and I ripped/compressed a lot of Disney videos for my 5 year old for the trip- she use it just fine, and it kept her busy all over France and Spain.

So, if I use that script, if I understand this correct, I would:

1) Copy my WAV files to a shared folder, but NOT to ~itunes
    2) Turn OFF "keep itunes forlder organized"
    3) Import the music
    4) Run script to Name music
    5) Turn ON Keep Music Organized
    6) Convert WAV to Apple Lossless.
    7) Delete original WAV files

AM I getting this right?

Thanks!

Dave

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Dave

Media Center sounds really good! Your instructions look pretty good. As I said before if you're comfortable with Applescript you should be able to create one to import your album art too, I might be able to help but I don't know how Media Center stores it.

I'd check they've converted to Apple Lossless before deleting the originals (obviously ;)) too, If you don't know how to convert them, you can do this my going to iTunes Menu==>Preferences==>Advanced==>Importing==> Change the import using to Apple Lossless, and right click on the songs to convert from iTunes.

Eraserhead