Copying old tapes to my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diatribe, May 12, 2005.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Does anybody know a software that would let me record a tape on my mac to burn them on a CD?
    I guess some kind of analog recorder app. Would be nice if anyone knew, because I couldn't find any. Maybe I am searching for the wrong terms though. Thanks in advance.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Garageband will work, record your tapes, edit into tracks, bounce to iTunes, burn to disc... :)

3. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

That will work with the line in, correct?

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, you'll probably need a twin RCA to 1/8" stereo mini-jack cable, any good electrical/hi-fi store will have one.

5. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, I already have one. I just didn't want to mic-tape this but rather directly, so if this works... awesome.
    See, I have never fiddled around with Garageband that much, I guess it's time to start. Thanks for the help.

6. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Hmm

Just curious, would garageband work for vinyl too?

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, you'll need a pre-amp between the turntable and the Mac, but any DJ mixer or amp with a "pre-amp out" connection will do.

A cassette player operates at Line level (usually the -10db domestic, unbalanced version), a turntable uses a much lower signal level, which is basically the output of the cartridge, and it needs amplifying before the Mac will be able to do much with it.

8. JonMaker macrumors regular

Yes and no.

Your Mac has input for a powered signal through a 2.5mm jack.

The turntable you'll probably use will have un-powered RCA output.

You need an amp, some RCA cable and a RCA-to-2.5mm converter.

~$50 at Radioshack; worth it, IMHO.

9. Mr. "D" macrumors newbie

I need some help too!

I'm trying to get from a Akai cassette deck into my Mac.

Which input do you use? Is there just one imput on the rear for a mic input that I can use. I have a G4 Dual Processor tower!

Thanks

10. Mr. "D" macrumors newbie

I'm lost!!

OK, so I got the cable and plugged it in from an Akai cassette deck into my G4 tower. I opened Garageband, but I see no way to import the signal from the deck. What am I missing?? I have no idea what I'm doing with the Garage Band application!!! Not my area of expertise!!
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

HE-ELLP!

11. road dog macrumors regular

CD Spin Doctor

I use CD Spin Doctor. Comes with Toast 7 or The Boom Box.

http://www.applelinks.com/p5/index.php/more/hands_on_mac_12_to_12_in_12/

12. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

13. Mr. "D" macrumors newbie

Anybody know about Audion

I downloaded Audion 3 and have gotten no sucess yet! What settings in Audion are required to input into iTunes. I couldn't import the file, but I could drag it into iTunes. I recorded about 5 minutes of music and it came out as 5 seconds that couldn't be played by iTunes. It seemed really buggy!

Is there anything that actually works to go from an analog cassette tape deck to iTunes?? I hate to invest in anything for this purpose since it seems there is no guarrantee anything really works! It seems like Apple has worked hard to make inputing difficult for both iTunes and iMovie!
    :confused: :confused:

14. toothpaste macrumors 6502

new track>basic instrument>basic track

I press play on my Pioneer dual tape deck and boom here comes the sounds

15. Mr. "D" macrumors newbie

Well I must be dumber than a rock!

I found and set it on (new track>real Instrument>basic track) No basic instrument choice as you mentioned found at all! It appeared to be recording, but it couldn't be exported to/or imported into iTunes. I also couldn't find anyway to play the recording in Garage Band. Also it didn't seem to be a large enough file to have recorded the song properly (164 kb). I can use Photoshop effectively, but Garage Band is not very intuitive to the new user!

Thanx,

Mr. "D"

16. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chip in my two cents for anyone else who runs across it. In order to get Garage Band to "hear" my line in, I had to open the Preferences panel and go to the Audio/MIDI tab. There you can change the Audio Input setting from the built-in microphone to the line in. After I made that change, it works as advertised.

17. Mr. "D" macrumors newbie

Thanx for the courteous Lyle. I'll try it! I had given up! I have a bunch of priceless old tapes I'd like to get into iTunes.