Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
Hope this is in the correct forum. My friend with an earlier version iBook than me lost her install discs when she recently moved. She borrowed mine as she wanted to zero her HD and re-install. Everything worked fine. She asked for a copy (she has no DVD burner) to keep herself and I thought it would be as easy as copying video. However, the Install Disc 1 (as far as I got) is over 4.7GB. I can't Fit-to-DVD as it isn't a video and I can't see how to copy it to multiple discs in Toast 7. If she uses it to zero her HD again she won't even have any software to unpack it. Could anyone advise me how to make a copy of the install discs that can be used the same as the originals? Experience needed :eek:

Thanks in advance, guys.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Althought I'm guessing its not entirely legal, you'll need to find a Dual Layer DVD writer somewhere.

Most modern Macbook Pros and Imac (and Mac Pros) are equipped with them. Then you need to find yourself a dual layer DVD+-R that'll work in the drive (i don't know if they can write both + and -). Assuming there's no copy protection you should be fine from there on out.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
The easiest solution is to use a DL disc.
Thanks Nermal. I thought of that but she's given me some discs already so I was wondering if I can use them. If it's impossible, so be it.

I can burn DL in my iMac. If I have to use DL I'll find out if she can read them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.