Copying songs from iTunes to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argon4k, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Argon4k macrumors member

Oct 22, 2005
    I have a PowerBook and that's where all of my music is, so anytime my iPod is updated, it's done so through the PowerBook. I'd like to put that music onto my PC, I have iTunes but it won't recognize the iPod. What can I do to 1.) get iTunes to recognize the iPod and 2.) get the songs from the iPod to the PC?

I've tried a few programs such as iPodUtil and iPod Liberator but none seem to be working.

Thanks. :)
  2. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

Oct 22, 2005
    Thanks but as I stated in my first post, I want to take the songs from my iPod (Which were put on there from a PowerBook) and transfer them to my desktop PC. The site specifically says that iTunes on Windows will not recognize the formatting from a Mac iPod. This is why I was looking for another way of doing this. Is it even possible?
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Reformat the iPod on the PC, resync your iTunes library on the Mac, enable the viewing of hidden files on the PC, drag the folder with your music on it back from the iPod onto the PC. Without an expensive app like MacDrive, the PC will not be able to read from the iPod without it first being formatted.

I really recommend using the method given in my earlier link though, because it'll ensure you keep your playlists and playcounts. :)
  4. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Why not go straight from the PowerBook to the PC?

You could do it by network sharing or using iTunes itself and use ourtunes to copy the files over...

5. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

Oct 22, 2005
    That's a good idea. I do have a wireless network setup. I'll figure out a way to allow the Mac to connect to the PC and then get it that way. Thanks! :)