Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
So my friend has a CD that is a slide show of pictures. I assume it is a Video CD, though I've never actually seen one. There are 5 "icons" as she put it on the disk

ext
mpegav
open dvd
segment
vcd

Is there any way to get the pictures off of the disk, other then a screen capture? Do VCDs store the images on the disk? Shes on a PC, and 500 miles away from me so I can't help her in person.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
In a regular VCD, there is supposed to be a *.dat file in (I believe) "mpegav" folder. If you copy that file onto your Desktop and change the extension to .mpg, QT can play the video. Otherwise, it does not like the extension. If the photo slideshow is converted into a video file (like iPhoto slideshows) before being saved as a VCD, this is probably what you are gonna be facing. I don't know how to turn that video file back into pictures. In any case, the pictures would be of low quality, 640 by 480 or someting of that sort.

There might be a standard way of just loading up pictures into a VCD and have the players turn that into a slideshow. If that is the case, then the process of copying them back onto your computer would be much easier, but I've never seen such a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.