Copying video from USB drive to DVD on IMAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newbiemacgal, Jul 28, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a six-minute video on a 8gb usb drive that I want to copy onto a DVD. Can I do this using IDVD?

Please help me understand how to do this, bearing in mind I am NOT computer savvy.:eek:

But I am willing to learn.:D

I appreciate any help you can provide.

2. Guest

spinnerlys

What format (.avi, .mov, .mkv, ... - also called container) and what codec (H264, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, DV, Divx, Xvid, ...) does that video use?

Also how long is it in minutes?

3. thread starter macrumors member

I am trying to copy from a usb flash drive to a DVD. Does that make a difference?

4. thread starter macrumors member

Also, the video is six minutes long. This is my first time attemptiing to copy a vido and make a dvd so I am clueless about codes. I have the IDVD app.

5. thread starter macrumors member

The format is mov.

6. Guest

spinnerlys

No, but I advise you to first copy the file to your HDD (Desktop or whatever folder you like).

Codecs, not codes. A codec is used to compress the video, many times to make it much, much smaller than the source.

This will be a lengthy process I presume, thus could you please copy the .mov file from the USB stick to your Desktop, maybe even create a folder for it and the resulting work.
    After the copying process has finished, open the .mov file with QuickTime Player (7.x or X if you have Snow Leopard), see if it plays. If it does, press CMD+I to open the Movie Inspector window and make a screen shot and attach the image to your next reply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from How to Check Video Information by Movie Inspector in QuickTime

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.