copying xbox 360 games to hard drive?....possible?

Discussion in 'Games' started by charlestrippy, Nov 21, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

So I was curious - is there a way to backup my games to my xbox 360 to my internal 20gb hard drive? It seems like it would but I haven't seen a way to?...

Sorry if this is an idiotic question :confused:

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well I doubt MS would allow it because 99.99% of the people who "backup" are pirates.

3. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

see - that's what I figured - so what exactly is the purpose of having a hard drive built in though?

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

For game updates, demos etc. Game demos tend to be pretty sizeable for current games, a good 500MB or so each!

5. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

game updates? much like a pc game - a patch is released every once in awhile?

so is it reallly worth paying the extra money for that hard drive?
    I thought it allowed capability to backup stuff...(wishful thinking i know haha) - since i'm not really into game demo's and stuff....

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    only a hard chipped xbox with hacked firmware can back up games, and to my knowledge there are none for the 360, only the original.

The HD can save demos, XBL Arcade games, dashboard wallpapers, videos, music, photos, different user accounts, icons, etc.

The HD is a must. A standard memory card does jack **** for you.

7. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

oh true - so the HD allows you to save your games and all the wonderful stuff - if you have a HD you don't really need a memory card anymore, right?

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

It stores game SAVES, and XBL Arcade games, but no full games from disc. A memory card is a waste of money. Go with the HDD. HDD > Memory Card

9. stagecustom macrumors regular

agreed.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm actually going to take the opposite side here:

If you have the means, get a memory card in addition to the hard drive. Why? Because hard drives fail. You don't need to back up your themes or gamerpics to memory card (except for limited release items like the recent GoW Emergence Day theme and gamerpic), since you can redownload them if you get a new hard drive... but it's definitely worth it to back up your saved games to memory card every so often. Memory cards are solid-state devices which shouldn't ever fail unless you drop them in water.

I lost some saved games not too long after the 360 launch last year, representing quite a few hours of play in Madden 2006 and PGR3. Wish I'd had a memory card then... but I do have one now.

11. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

how much are the memory cards?

also - how long is the warranty for the hard drives?

12. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

It's definitely possible to hack games for 360. I don't know if I'm venturing into "illegal' posting territory, so if I am, mods go ahead and delete it.

The 360 isn't that hard to hack, but the games are. Let me just say that to hack the games involves using dual layer discs and extracting a security sector by hooking up the DVD drive to your PC. That being said, I will not answer any PMs or other questions asking any more details, b/c I don't want to violate MacRumor's anti-piracy rules. But long story short, yes, it's possible :D

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Around $40 for a 64 MB memory card.

And the warranty for the HD is the same as for the rest of the 360... 90 days, I think. But a warranty doesn't matter if your HD fails; they may replace the HD, but they won't replace your lost saved games.

14. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

i dont want to pirating or anything - just wanted to know if i could back them up - i like running off a harddrive vs a disk - no worries ill deal with the disks hah

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Ok, do you even know how modding works? Because I've been in the scene for over two years now and there are no modchips/hacked firmware available for the 360 like there were for the original xbox. Yes, anything is possible to hack/krack/reverse engineer. But has it been done? No. IF ti's "very easy" to do so, then it would have been done by now. And since the 360 firmware is based on the old Xbox firmware, yet runs constant security checks and encryptions to avoid this from happening, it has NOT BEEN DONE.

There are two devices available from Team Xecuter that will allow you to pull all of the info off from your Xbox HDD, but it will not back up games.
    If anyone had an idea how to reverse engineer the firmware, they'd be the first.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually you can flash the firmware off the 360 DVD drive. That's all you have to do to play these dodgy copies. It's even simpler than the xbox or ps2 and it's growing RAMPANT here.

There is now a usb devices so you dont even have to open your 360 in order to flash the drives firmware.

People charge €40 to do it for you here, and i've heard from the lads on live, you can buy 20 360 games for €60........

Personally i prefer to buy my games legitimately, same as my music. Why destroy an industry you love.

And I cant believe Microsoft hasnt released a dashboard update that checks your dvd rom bios yet. Maybe they cant... ?

All the more reason I see for 360 to get HD-DVD built into it ASAP....

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Hacked DVD firmware, yes, but no firmware the likes of we saw in previous generations. Ms will be putting stop gaps to the DVD firmware soon, I believe.

18. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No, I have no idea what I'm talking about. /sarcasm. I've got 25 "copies" loaded on dual layer discs right now that work perfectly, so don't tell me that it hasn't been done; I've done it. Listen to MacRumorUser, it's actually quite easy. If you've been in the "scene for over two years" and don't know the 360 DVD firmware hack, you are either quite incompetent or are just a total noob (No offense, but I felt the antagonism from your post required a response showing that you are actually the one who doesn't know what he's talking about).

19. islandman macrumors 6502

Not that I'd *EVER* hack a console, but yes, it's indeed possible to hack the 360 DVD. No further comments...:) lol. And shame on anyone who claims to be on the scene who doesn't know about the easiest hack ever.