Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Hey guys, I have a roommate (really do) who likes to download illegally. It just so happens that I pay the Internet and cable bill and he pays utilities and then another pays the water. So if he were to get caught, it's technically in my name. I've asked him to stop and he has, but the damage has already been done with 129GB worth of downloaded movies. My question what's the likelyhood it can be traced back to my specific apartment? I'm sure it could be traced to the apartment complex, but not sure about my apartment. Any insight would be appreciated.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It can be tracked via IP and linked directly to a computer. Don't worry, you may have the Internet bill under your name, but if its not your device that holds infringing material there is little reason to target you. Just password protect your Wi-Fi so no one outside your roommate or you can use it to further cover yourself.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
NC
It can be tracked via IP and linked directly to a computer. Don't worry, you may have the Internet bill under your name, but if its not your device that holds infringing material there is little reason to target you. Just password protect your Wi-Fi so no one outside your roommate or you can use it to further cover yourself.

Okay, there's a chance everyone on the floor may have the same IP though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.