Copyrights?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iMacZealot, May 8, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

My sister is a professional artist and read in a published book that if an artist puts the copyright (c) symbol, the year, and his or her name, nobody can make money off of his or her work for the rest of his or her life and fifty years beyond that. Does this apply to the films I make in FCE? I've something that will be distributed widely and I'd like to protect it. Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You don't even need the copyright symbol. Everything you make is subject to copyrights automatically for your lifetime plus 70 years. (In the case of corporate copyright, the term is 95 years.)

Read all you want know about it here.

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, you don't need to register or pay to use ©. You do have to pay if you want to use ® though.

5. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Actually, the © symbol is owned by the government, and since the government hasn't died yet, you can't use it unless they license it to you for a goodly sum.

Oh dear...I just used it...and without permission. I hope that the U.S. Patent & Trademark patent attorneys don't come and sue me!

For the record, :p to all of what I just said.

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

:rolleyes: LOL! I can't believe people are paying the Library of Congress $30 a pop to use the © symbol!

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You don't need to register to use the symbol. But you should register if you think that the work will have real financial value. Here's why.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm making a website for a (small) church and I wanted to place:

© "insert name of church here". All rights reserved.

...at the bottom. Can I legally do this? (and will it do me any good)?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Oh dear...you've lost it. :D

Feel free to use © with abandon...it's your right to do so.

Edit: Yes, EricNau...you can do this. It doesn't really give you much more power (the copyright exists whether you have the symbol or not), but it does serve as a reminder to potential infringers that you own the content.

10. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

My professional artist sister did that, and my parish does the same thing, too.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's not to USE the copyrihgt symbol, it is to have PROOF that you created your thing before the other guy created the same thing.

Copyright is inherent in any work -- it exists as soon as the work is created.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Registering with the Copyright Office gives you the right to win monetary damages from an infringer. Without registration, I believe you can only stop them from infringing, but you can't get any money from them.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

In the US, you need registration before you can sue.

14. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

But of course, there's no point in doing so if I'm just making a simple four minute movie that will be prominent on a fairly large website?