Corby sentenced to 20 years in jail

Discussion in 'Community' started by DeSnousa, May 26, 2005.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

This has been a heated topic down here in oz and around the world i would say. Well she has been sentenced for a whooping 20 years. Good considering she was facing a death penalty and then life, but non the least sad.

I don't really no if you is innocent or not but thats an outrageous jail sentence.

Corby will be appealing the case and i believe they are also trying to get her to serve the sentence in Australia.

News link

More info and images

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't believe she did it. Your right, this is good compared to a death sentence but it's still unfair.

IMO, Indonesia's making a big mistake. They were just recovering from the tourism slump after the Bali bombings and now this. I was all set to go there in September but I reckon Thailand's looking a little more promising at the moment.

My heart goes out to Corby.

3. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Oh i agree many people are going to boycott going to Indonesia.

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    So her claim is that baggage handlers in Oz planted the drugs in her luggage?

Did she have any proof?

5. deanbo macrumors regular

20 Years!

I think the sentence is outrageous and disgusting even if she did do it. 20 years for that amount of Marijuana is ridiculous, and I believe a heinous violation of human rights.

I have heard rumors that baggage handlers place drugs in tourists luggage to get them through customs.

The trick is to have your bags weighed, and reweighed when you arrive.

But 20 years, my god!

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Ah but the TSA can just steal an equal weight of your stuff ;)

7. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Guilty or not the 20 years is just outrages.

On some other news i found out that her name is reregistered as a business. That if found innocent and released she would sit on A$2 million for the first year. Although im a bit wary as it was coming from a current affair program.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Doesn't Indonesia have the death sentence for drug smugglers? In that light, 20 years might not look so bad. Their viewpoint is that having incredibly high sentences discourages smugglers; in general, I prefer harsher to lenient punishments. One of the problems that I seem to recall about both Bali and Thailand is the difficulty in ensuring that foreigners get a fair trial - in terms of having access to lawyers who speak their language and who can explain the legal process etc

I'm not sure this has received much attention outside of Australia (at least til now). I know I hadn't seen anything about it on the BBC website until I went rooting through the Asia-Pacific section after reading here. She does look utterly shocked on that image.

On the face of it the evidence is damning, drugs found in bag on arrival. What evidence did the defense try to bring in to establish doubt? The only thing I've seen reference to (in my admittedly brief look) was 'baggage handlers did it because her bags were unlocked which wasn't going to fly with the judges since otherwise anyone really smuggling would just leave bags open and go for it.

I'm assuming they brought in character witnesses to say that she didn't use drugs. Did they find any baggage handlers on duty with a history of drug use or a suspicious level of funds? Any evidence of 'inadvertent' drug mules being used in the past?

9. deanbo macrumors regular

20 Years!!

To establish doubt in this case, the first question I would have is motive. What would motivate someone who looks reasonably intelligent and well off to do something this dumb?

Secondly in regards to the 9 people accused of heroin trafficing, well most of them to me look like extremely stupid and naive teenagers, who thought they could make a quick buck.

These people aren't terroists, rapists or murderers, but get treated as such anyway.

10. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I for one don't have too much of a problem with it!

Before anyone kicks up a stink with this consider the facts.

1. She had 4.1kg of cryvacked(spelling?) marijuana in her boogy bag note the bag was shaped considerably like a body bag
    2. She initially refused to open the bag when customs in indonesia asked her to, she then started to yell and scream when they did begin to open it
    3. She had had many trips to bali over the past year??
    4. The indonesian legal system is as good as any other, in fact in some ways it is probably better in that leniant sentances are seldom given

Oh and yes i am a right wing prick :D

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

so if you're already rich and well-educated, you should always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to criminal charges??

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

honestly, a life sentance seems ridiculous to me too. but whats the problem with 20 years? sounds like she had a lot of the drugs... granted, i dont know much about the case, but just from the article that was linked- can anyone provide a more detailed account?

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Ya the deanbo post really confused me too! One minute talking of her innocents and the next some "looked" guilty.
    I am not knowledgeable enough about this case, but as bad as people like to slam the US on our issues, I am EXTREMELY careful going into SE Asia and South Asia.
    I lived in Micronesia for 3 years, and a certain paranoia is healthy.

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

20 years for smuggling weed? :eek: Assuming for a second that she actually did it. That's just asinine. I mean for the love of god what did she have? A cargo container smuggled up her bum?!? :D Maybe 2 years or something but 20? Smacks of “example” to me.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Most of the worlds Weed laws are stupid and put in place by those making money off it one way or another. 20 years is assanine for weed ,it doesnt matter what country is acting like a D.S. It really shows that the Pricks wanting to make new Laws are doing so with nothing based on facts. Like our Federal weed laws, Pure spin dreamed up by a fanatical police state bent on yielding its power and control. The spin govt feeds us on weed is pure lie. reminds of the war on so called terror but then they leave tthe border wide spankin open....please

15. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

capital punishment, life in prison or 20 years - all ridiculous, horriffic, sentences for smuggling of marijuana... No one, especially not surfers who come there often, can be surprised that this is how they punish all drugsmugglers in indonesia (and thailand, india and I guess most other places in that area)...

Whether or not she is guilty is impossible for anyone to say... though her reaction to the opening of her bag, as described here, would indicate she was very well aware of it's contents.

The real problem is the almost worldwide hostile politics concerning marijuana - it's creating more problems than it's solving...

A

16. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Absaloutely, i think 20 years is excessive as well but 4.1kg damn that is whole lot of weed you have those sort of penalties in the us right it is almost worse than the rape and murder of a 15 yr old in the states.

However the law in indonesia dictates these penalties who are we to say they are wrong are we so egotistical to beleive that we are right

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True her getting some weed wasnt going to hurt or matter much to anyone, putting her in jail for 20 years for what? another crazy fanatical extremist law. The politics of Drugs is ............crazy as heck. It increases the police state and that is what govt wants.

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This was sad. I heard people talking about this today while in the shop at the Australian Capitol building in Canberra. It was pretty obvious she was , I think.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, that's just not right. It certainly does sound like they're trying to use her as an example - and especially since its going to get more press than most of these cases.

Bleh, I hope they can resolve it so that she doesn't have to spend too much time in jail.

D

20. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I personally don't have an opinion but I am going to throw some facts into this thread if I may.

1. The street value of marijuana is much higher in Sydney or Brisbane than it is in Bali. She was planning to be there for a few weeks, smoking 4.1kg in that time period is impossible and selling it is unprofitable. Witness the arrests of the Australians trying to smuggle drugs _out_ of Indonesia recently.

2. The Indonesian legal system took a lot of short cuts that would have assisted the defence if they had done things properly. The package was handled by bare hands, it was torn open, it was not fingerprinted, it was handled by Corby's family at the request of the police, etc.

3. The Australian government was uncooperative for valid reasons but they may have therefore withheld information that could have assisted either side.

4. Baggage handlers have been known to open baggage and place items in it. There was a reported case 4 years ago where a brick of marijuana was found in someone's luggage after arriving in Bali. They, fortunately, were not discovered by authorities.

5. There have been a recent spate of firings towards baggage handlers at Sydney airport because of unscrupulous behaviour.

6. The Australian Police are currently investigating a ring of drug smuggling via the baggage handlers.

7. Many of the Australian people are angry at are not doing themselves a favour by focusing their anger on the Indonesians. I am sure the judges were not impressed.

8. The judges stated before the trial that they needed to make an example of this case to stop drug smuggling.

Enjoy!

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Isn't it Indonesia which has a public holiday in late summer when the President, amongst the other festivities, is allowed to pardon various prisoners?

Since Indonesia has always been seen to be 'tough' in terms on sentences, it may be that they felt they couldn't give a soft verdict when there was more physical evidence against her than for her but she may get one of these pardons in a few months?

One thing I'm surprised by. 4kg is a reasonable weight - particularly on some flights where baggage allowance is only 20kg. Wouldn't you think you'd notice that kind of weight difference in a bag that shouldn't have been all that heavy anyhow?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My thoughts exactly. The words "coal" and "Newcastle" - not the Australian one - spring to mind. If she was a smuggler, she was terribly ill-informed.

23. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

"Coal" and "Newcastle" also works quite well in Australia. :)

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I guess it does! :D

25. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I think she did it - you can tell from her staring eyes that she is a druggie.