Cordless Apple Keyboard and Mouse & and ieMac & WiniPod

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Ensign Paris, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hi

This morning in the post I recieved a CD from containing information on Apples most recent products and innitives, in the Bluetooth demo the guy who is head of Wireless and Portables said:

"Eventually we can imagine Wireless Mice, Printers, keyboards aswell as cell phones"

To me this suggests Wireless Mice from Apple at NY or Paris.

----

ieMac

In the eMac movie the head of the emac / education devision refers to the eMac as the iMac by accident, I think this kind of suggests that the iMac (G3) will be dropped at NY.

----

WiniPod

In the iPod information movie a woman says:

"Apple has yet to make the iPod available to Windows"

Does this mean they will? Does this mean they wont?

----

Let me know what you think :)

Ensign

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Cordless Apple Keyboard and Mouse & and ieMac & WiniPod

I don't know what you call 'eventually' over there, but over here that leaves the time frame wide open. Just as 'eventually' Quark will release an OS X native version of XPress. To think that the eventually will be less then a month away is ludicrous.

While we might see Apple releaseing wireless devices at MWNY, I won't hold my breath for a keyboard or mouse to be among them. Hell, even the "D-Link DWB-120M USB Bluetooth Adapter" on the Apple store (online) is "Temporarily unavailable". Temporary can be a long time as well.

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Re: Re: Cordless Apple Keyboard and Mouse & and ieMac & WiniPod

By eventually it can me very soon, or very far away, but considering this 'internal' bluetooth apple movie was filmed in late janurary (they have some really cool stuff on this CD) I would say that 6 months is eventually.

Ensign

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Which would put it around MWSF, not NY... :p :D

Again, I won't hold my breath for it. I don't see wireless mice really taking off right away. Most people are rather content with their wired mice (harder to misplace them when they are attached :D). Think of it this way, both Logitech and m$ offer cordless mice and such, but they also still offer the wired versions. As for mice, the number of options for the wired ones outnumber the wireless. There is a reason for that. One of them is cost... Would you really be willing to pay ~2x the cost for a mouse that has no cords compared to the one with a wire?? Most people (from what I have seen) don't use their keyboards and mice 6' from their computers. Those that do, already have wireless products for their computers.

Maybe when they make monitors cordless and you can place your CPU in a closet someplace where you live and have the monitor on the other end of your house/apartment. That is not in the near future, but 'eventually' that too will happen. :D

'Eventually' when I get a house, I will get it wired for such things, since there is something to be said for cords and the way that some things can block wireless transmissions. Then again, I am looking at about 8-10 years from now (want to have the vehicles paid off first), so who knows what will be out by then. Considering how computers and technology has advanced in the past 8-10 years, we could be in for some radical changes before the next 10 years is over.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

And those that use their mouse and keyboard 6 feet away must have spent lots of dinero on a monitor. Go figure! :cool:

Quick Q, Alpha. What's your new avatar displaying? Is this part of the Harley or something else?

6. datalok macrumors member

Hey AlphaTech - did somebody sell you Enron stocks - chill out mate - it is only a forum!

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Just a side note: ensign's not a newbie ;)

I use a cordless optical mouse with my tibook. It's a really convenient accessory to have. Yes, i do regularly use the mouse 6' from the computer (like when watching a film or something like that). It's nice to not *have* to be next to the computer all the time. Kind of like remote controls. Yes, it costs more, but it's worth it. Apple isn't exactly known for going for cheap 'n' cheerful options ;)

It's still a relatively new option (cordless mouse/keyboard), but you can bet it's going to catch on.

8. OKComputer macrumors 6502

wasnt apple one of the first to include an optical mouse with all new computers? initiative from apple always causes the flock to follow. perhaps wireless mice arent too far off.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Bugger off

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

It's the HOG patch... IF I wasn't limited to a measly 50 pixels, you would be able to see it better.

britboy, how do you watch a movie on your computer from 6' away??? You must have a large screen to actually be able to watch it from that far away.

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I have a share of enron stock :D It's because my brothers bought me a share of Apple through that gift stock thing, and they got my order switched with someone else's, so when they finally got my stock to me, they gave me a share of enron, as a gift for my patience...

It's quite easy, get a projector :D I borrowed one from my school for a presentation, and i had it over the weekend, so I hooked it up to my iBook, and watched a movie on my living room wall... Of course, projectors do cost quite a bit too... but it was fun. of course, who needs a keyboard or mouse when you're watching a movie?

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

When I watch movies, I do it on the nice Sony 27" tv with the dvd player attached. That entire system is much better then trying to do it on a computer (especially a tower with the fan noise you have to overcome). I also have a surround soung system attached to the dvd player and tv. Makes for great movie watching.

13. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I use a projector, I would love to have know wires, if I could just put by powerbook on the table and it automaticly connected to my Keyboard and Mouse it would be great, I have used IR keyboards before they rock!

Alpha - please don't flame me, i have never insulted you and you seem to be in a bit of a mood :)

Ensign

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I use the 15.2" screen on my tibook. It's quite easy really. Perhaps i just have good vision ;)

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

My father has a projector screen to go with his projector to watch movies. It looks like you are watching a movie right from the cinema, especially during the night and all the kitchen lights are out.

But for computers I watch movies on both my Cube 15 inch LCD and my 12 inch iBook screen. One of them does come with Pro Speakers, so I favor watching movies on one of them more. :cool:

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

6 feet isnt very far. I have a 17 inch ASD (studio display) and i can see it clearly for all the way on my bed ( movies ofcourse) which is about 7 feet away from my comp.

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

a 17" might be acceptable for some people, but you cannot beat a 27" tv for watching movies (except with a larger tv of course). With no fan noise and a surround sound system, it rocks. I typically sit about 6-8 feet from the tv (would have to measure to narrow it down more, but it's not worth the effort).

I have watched dvd's on computers before, and I always needed to pump up the volume even more then normal to compensate for the computer sounds.

18. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yeah, i got the apple pro speakers and tehy suck for movies. i need another 5 inch bay in my mac so i can get a SB audigy (if they even made a mac version) and have 5 speaker surround system on my comp cuz my 17 inch studio display looks rele good with movies. I have sooo many electronics its not even funny to watch movies on, so i dont use my comp very much (but i should) to watch movies. i have a HDTV tv with 1080i resoultion and progressive scan dvd player and two sony flat screen tvs with one dvd player and one PS2 hooked up on one of em.

The computer sounds dont bother me. :)

What u got alpha??

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I've got external speakers and base, which i turn up anyway. The computer sounds don't bother me, but i like to listen to my movies nice and loud anyway - gives the movie a better effect :D

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

On my 0.5GHz cube I use the Pro Speakers, but where I can watch movies with the family downstairs there is a whole set of speakers and subwoofers to pump up the volume. My father owns a stereo store, and being the expert he is he knows how to jack up some serious power out of speakers. Usually that comes from using the right type of speakers. :cool:

21. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Lucky sonuva gun. What size screen u got?

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

The projection screen that goes with the system downstairs hangs from the ramped ceiling and, in a 4x3 aspect, measures 4 or 5 feet. You get a nice, clear image (for the most part) and lots of sub to go with it.

In other words, if you were watching Jurassic Park, you would probably feel the ground move with lots of sub and you would get to see more of the big lizard. :cool:

23. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Better grab the elephant gun and buffalo tranqulaizers.

Nice system too!! Too bad, u dont have 16:9 and progressive scan (but u dont need it, uve got something thats better than what any of the rest of us have got). Then, and only then, would the T rex live it all of its supreme lizard of all eternity glory. :p

24. King Cobra macrumors 603

Maybe that ringing phone should be turned off...we don't want to wake up the Archaeopteryx in the bird cage! :cool:

I didn't catch your edit, so let me edit my post now.

I'm not sure if the system has progressive scan. It might, but I'm not the expert.

25. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Cordless Apple Keyboard and Mouse & and ieMac & WiniPod

lol!

what would be cool to see is a bluetooth clock
    i.e., when you click on 'set time via time.apple.com' it sets your clock too
    and the alarm on your clock could tell your computer to wake up in the morning (assuming you dont shut down)