Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

germanboy3383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
Hey,

I am not quite sure if this post/thread is in the proper forum section so i apologize in advance.
I was just wondering if there was any news about the new C2D chips being used in the mac minis in the near future. Can any1 comment on this?
greatly appreciated.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
It will happen eventually, but for now, I doubt it. If you need a C2D processor, you shouldn't be buying a mini.

Mini's are supposed to be low cost, for internet, email, and iLife. And thats about it.:)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
No one knows for sure, but don't count on it. Eventually they will get C2Ds, but I'd be very surprised if it was in 2006.

germanboy3383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
wow...that was fast...
well i am looking to buy a mac mini once Leo comes out...i hope that they will by then upgrade the minis...i have my fingers crossed...thx

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
sadly, the minis are pretty awful deals right now. Spec out a 1.83 Ghz mini with 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HD (equal to 17" iMac)... the iMac has mouse, keyboard, screen, radeon x1600, and 2.0 Ghz core 2 duo and only costs about $125 more.

I love the minis, but they badly need to be either updated (won't happen, since they were just bumped) or have their prices dropped to make them a reasonable buy.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
QCassidy352 said:
sadly, the minis are pretty awful deals right now. Spec out a 1.83 Ghz mini with 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HD (equal to 17" iMac)... the iMac has mouse, keyboard, screen, radeon x1600, and 2.0 Ghz core 2 duo and only costs about $125 more.

I love the minis, but they badly need to be either updated (won't happen, since they were just bumped) or have their prices dropped to make them a reasonable buy.
Definitely agree with this. I think the mini's price is awful. What happened to the "affordable" mac? They used to be great deals for someone with minimal needs, but now it seems like a ridiculous buy compared to an iMac. I'd rather NOT see them updated, and would prefer a big ole price drop. Let's have 'em at $400 again, please!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I would agree the Mini is a poor deal but really most off Apples low end machines are. Apple doesnt compete very well hardware wise in the low end category. Dell has machines at Mini's price point that sadly blow it away,Hp does also. Look at Dells C521 or HP slimlines for example and if you dont mind a full tower Dell has a XPS410 that can be stripped down that just hammers it in performance. Start comparing hardware and its no contest, Sure Mini has OSX but those others come with XP along with free upgrades to Vista and all can be bought with TV Tuners in them. Mini can not.
Why do you need a Core2 Mini when the current line can do anything that machine will only a millisecond slower? Whats the point of core2 if you have integrated graphics?

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I agree, Apple's Pro hardware holds up incredibly well to the competition, the Mac Pro in particular. But move down the scale spec wise and value for money drops slightly - until we reach the Mac Mini, which is a really bad buy in my opinion.

What happened to the BIG price cuts Intel were supposed to give the Core Duo chip this month?

germanboy3383

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
aaa, i am somewhat of a n00b when it comes to hardware, i.e. i didnt know the mac mini had an integrated graphics card. my current computer is an iBook G4 that is 2.5 years old with 768 mb ram. Besides school work the only enjoyment i have with it is either watching movies and/or playing WoW on it. But as u may imagine the frame rate isnt really stellar at all...(2FPS when it gets really busy on the screen...lol). so i thought i would treat myself to a mac mini when the Leo comes out thinking that the minis were a step up but i am second guessing myself now...i guess i will have to stick to my iBook as i cant afford another such investment. :(
i feel like a total n00b now...

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
germanboy3383 said:
so i thought i would treat myself to a mac mini when the Leo comes out thinking that the minis were a step up but i am second guessing myself now...i guess i will have to stick to my iBook as i cant afford another such investment. :(
i feel like a total n00b now...

By the time Leopard comes out the Mac Mini might have far better integrated graphics.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
I am going to buy my mac hopefully next month. My workplace has a computer program that allows us to buy a computer with an interest free loan from work. Lucky me.

The max is $1200.00 but what the heck, that isn't so bad.

I was going to get a 17" IMAC, but then changed it to MACMINI. But then decided to change it back to a 17" IMAC. I configured the mac mini that I wanted and it came up to $1301.00.

So I decided to go back to the imac 17" for 1200.00. I get more for the money. That 1301.00 price did not include the monitor, with an imac i get the monitor.

Wish I could have the 24" but I can't afford to pay that much more right now.

I can't wait for November 15th!!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I am going to buy my mac hopefully next month. My workplace has a computer program that allows us to buy a computer with an interest free loan from work. Lucky me.

The max is $1200.00 but what the heck, that isn't so bad.

I was going to get a 17" IMAC, but then changed it to MACMINI. But then decided to change it back to a 17" IMAC. I configured the mac mini that I wanted and it came up to $1301.00.

So I decided to go back to the imac 17" for 1200.00. I get more for the money. That 1301.00 price did not include the monitor, with an imac i get the monitor.

Wish I could have the 24" but I can't afford to pay that much more right now.

I can't wait for November 15th!!

Yep, the Mac mini went from being good value to poor value in one fell swoop when the iMacs were updated and their prices slashed.

The cheapest Mac mini really needs a SuperDrive to make it competitive but as it stands it's probably the better deal of the two, still nowhere near as good value as the iMacs are now.

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
dude the macbooks don't have them yet and you expect them to be in the minis first?

nah, macbooks then minis. remember they are trying to keep the mini costs down.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
why wait?

mini core solo - around $450 on ebay.

T5600 core 2 duo on newegg - $249.99 with free shipping.

1.83 C2D mini for less than the current apple 1.83 CD - priceless.

or just wait. also priceless...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.