Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, significantly slower with no battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sycho, Jan 25, 2007.

1. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I ordered a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro the day after they were released and I have been extremly pleased with it. Except for one thing. When I remove the battery it seems the machine clocks down significantly. I forget the name off the application, but it would display the current clock speed, with out the battery it would be 1GHz. I let this side for a while, reinstalled OS X since then, forgot about it, until today.

I ran XBench today, top is without battey, bottom is with.
    Code:
    						Score	Details

Results						51.69	
    	System Info		
    		Xbench Version				1.3
    		System Version				10.4.8 (8N1037)
    		Physical RAM				2048 MB
    		Model					MacBookPro2,2
    		Drive Type				Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00
    	CPU Test					51.69	
    		GCD Loop			116.66	6.15 Mops/sec
    		Floating Point Basic		56.28	1.34 Gflop/sec
    		vecLib FFT			42.01	1.39 Gflop/sec
    		Floating Point Library 		36.70	6.39 Mops/sec

----------------------------
    Results						120.24	
    	System Info		
    		Xbench Version				1.3
    		System Version				10.4.8 (8N1037)
    		Physical RAM				2048 MB
    		Model					MacBookPro2,2
    		Drive Type				Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00
    	CPU Test					120.24	
    		GCD Loop			265.89	14.02 Mops/sec
    		Floating Point Basic		131.62	3.13 Gflop/sec
    		vecLib FFT			96.68	3.19 Gflop/sec
    		Floating Point Library		86.48	15.06 Mops/sec

The only thing I have really noticed slowdown on are iTunes visualizations and 1080P videos slow down a fair bit. It is a little annoying since I'd like to just put the battery at about 60% charge and store it for a while when my MacBook doesn't move for weeks at a time.

Anyone have any insight to this?

2. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I remember hearing somewhere that a 2.0ghz Macbook Pro will clock down to 1.5ghz when there's not battery installed. But don't quote me on that, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

3. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

I have heard that they go down to 1ghz when no battery is in.

4. sycho thread starter macrumors 6502a

sycho

Yeah, and it is a pain in the ass.:(

5. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

like a car

a car will run fine if you take the battery out. turn on an accessory like the lights and it shuts off immediately. it needs the battery for heavy use at times.

(cars used to be that way. can't say about now.)

so it makes sense that a computer would run at a reduced rate because it doesn't have the reservoir of power.

6. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

If you take a battery out of a car nowadays, the car will die immediately. I recently had a battery go bad on me and even while driving it still died. The car stalled out.

If I remember correctly it has to do with distributor-less ignition systems as well as the computer systems needed to run modern cars. Without the juice, the computers cannot control the valve timing, fuel injection etc that will keep a car running.

7. sycho thread starter macrumors 6502a

sycho

Right... but when charging the both the battery and computer are the load to the power adapter, there is no reason for this, it is not because it doesn't have the reservoir of power, it's a firmware bug that should be addressed.

8. jmre5150 macrumors member

jmre5150

Explain to a simpleton why you would even want to take the battewry out in the first place and run your macbook without it?

I don't see the point, but then again...I'm a Mac noobie.

9. sycho thread starter macrumors 6502a

sycho

There are weeks when my MacBook sits at my desk at 100% charge. This is not good for the battery. A better thing for the battery would be to charge it to around 40-60% and then store for that period of time. So having the battery out isn't a bad thing, and the computer shouldn't run at 1/3 the normal speed.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You shouldn't take the battery out...all you do is open up the inside of the computer to dust and expose the battery connector to possible damage. If you're going to be using it at a desk all the time, just remember to calibrate it every month or two...your battery will be fine.

11. sycho thread starter macrumors 6502a

sycho

Not using with it charged at 100% and calibrating it every so often will hurt it way more then storing it at about 50% charge.

The issue here is not me deciding to remove the battery, it is that when the battery is removed, for what-ever reason, that the computer runs at approximately 1/3 it's advertised speed.

12. w0by macrumors regular

MBP w/o battery

I agree. I pretty much use my macbook pro as a desktop computer and I noticed when the battery was out the computer ran like crap. So I read up and Apple is telling me that the computer slows down a lot to conserve power. Lame.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Please search the forum before starting a new thread - this was discussed countless times before.

The CPU clocks down without the battery for objective reasons. Its not better for the battery to be kept at 60% in a closet than keeping it at 100% inside the computer and calibrating it once a month or two, otherwise Apple would state that in the support documentation.

I'm sorry that you didn't research enough before your purchase. Please do so next time.

Good day.

14. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

This actually makes sense, but it is not the case with the Lithium-Ion batteries that MBPs use.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-14A.htm
    Hope this helps.

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It is NOT a firmware bug, rather a firmware design. The machine is underclocked when the battery is not present. I've never understood why people get so OCD about a $70 battery. Just use your device as intended. Have you any idea how much of a fit your machine would throw if you accidently unplugged it without a battery?!

16. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

??? As you can see this topic dates from Jan 25, 2007 so the OP did make a search ;)

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Sorry, didn't notice the old post.

18. jca488 macrumors newbie

its a good thing

I actually use this when i use handbrake
    it really bothers me when my macbook goes to a temp of 80 C and the fans run so hard i think it will fly away.
    so i take the battery out it underclocks and it doesnt overheat! :)
    always looking at the pos things about my mac

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple has said removing the battery automatically slows down your CPU. Its a bad move also.

More information is found by simply clicking me.