Core Duo MB to C2D MBP?...Should I?...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slick316, Nov 14, 2006.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I had a 17" Core Duo MBP that was stolen, so I ended up getting an MB.
    Well, my really nice sister wants to make a trade with me. She wants me to give her my MB, in exchange for a new $1999 C2D MBP (the base 15" model). She likes the MB's (size wise mainly) and wants to get one anyway, but she wants to offer me this gift (lets call it a Christmas gift).
    It seems like a lot, but she always gets me expensive stuff, so this wouldn't be the first time.
    Question is, is there anyone out there that would NOT trade there black Core Duo MB in for a base C2D MBP?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I'd do it in a heartbeat. Do you have any concerns about the size? I find the 15-inchers fine to carry around, but some people think they're too big and heavy.
  3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Sounds like a great deal.

I'm giving my CD MacBook to my mother-in-law for Christmas as an "excuse" to upgrade to the $1999 15" C2D MBP. :)
  4. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2006

i agree, i personally love the 15-inch ones. I'm a college student and used a powerbook G4 for two years, 15 inch and never had a problem. I thought a smaller size was just too small. but i guess it is mostly your personal opinion on which size you like.
  5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Sure, your sister...

really, it's all a matter of preference. Some people want a smaller notebook so it's easier to carry.
  6. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    No brainer here, really :)

I mean, if money was no object I definitely would have gone for an MBP rather than the base MB model which costs about 1/2 the price. I don't think the difference in portability is that much. The MBP is a lot bigger in terms of size, but *not* in terms of weight - the MB weighs 5.2 lbs and the MBP just 5.6 lbs. The extra .4 lbs is definitely worth it, IMO, and the size is still small enough to fit in any bookbag or laptop bag (unless that bag was specifically designed for ultraportables or something).

Go for it, man!!!
  7. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    She's cool, she felt bad when my 17" MBP got stolen, so this is her way of being nice (she is my big sis after all, gotta take of little brother some how :) ).
    She's flying out for a visit Thanksgiving, she is going to buy the 15" MBP from here, and take my MB back home.
    I was going to upgrade the MB next year to a MBP with Santa Rosa or whatever, but won't now. Kind of mean to upgrade a gift.
  8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    awesome sister - I'd definitely do it in a heartbeat (actually, I did.. :p )
  9. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    I don't think 140 gram tips the scale of what is considered too heavy in relation to notebooks heh. The size difference, however, I can understand :)
  10. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    go for it! and consider yourself lucky to have someone willing to make such a transaction :)
  11. germanboy3383 macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2005
    feel free to talk to ur parents to adopt me...i want a sweet sister like urs. :p
    go for it...the MBP i mean!
  12. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    thats awesome i do go for it immdeiatly. the only thing the macbook offers over the mbp is the size, but to most people a 15" should be just fine.
  13. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    I think she is more excited that I am. She gets a MB with 1.25GB ram, STM Case, Radtech sleeve/cleaning cloth, and extra charger, plus she gets to take care of my Christmas at the same time. To her, she's getting a great deal. Plus, she has a 12" PB that she is selling to her friend, so its all good for her.

Its a good thing the 15" has standard 1GB ram and 120GB HD, I am strapped for cash (just bought my sister a $250 gift card to her favorite store, Banana Republic).