Core Duo or Core 2 Duo Macbook Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umiwangu, Jan 31, 2007.

1. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I've been waiting to get a Macbook since last September. I won't be using it that much (use a desktop PC as primary computer) and have a tight budget. Now that Apple have both CD & C2D refurbed Macbooks, I'm not sure which to get.

Are the benefits of C2D worth $150 (the difference between 1.8 Ghz CD & C2D)? I've heard that temperatures are a bit lower and I guess you have the option of 802.11 N?. Was much done in the new revision?

Thanks in advance!

2. kumbaya macrumors regular

3. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Not really. I have a CD Macbook, a couple of weeks after I bought it the C2Ds came out. I don't have any C2D envy. The CD Macbooks have more than enough power to cover everyday tasks. For me, 802.11n doesn't matter. I have neither the inclination or the money to upgrade my entire network right now, and probably won't anytime soon.

4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

My wife has a black CD MacBook and I have a white C2D MacBook. Same clockspeed, soon-to-be same amount of RAM, and obviously same OS and so forth. There's not much of a difference that I've seen. She hasn't complained about heat, random shutdowns, or anything else.

You might be future-proofing a little by getting a 64-bit machine, but I doubt it. That's the primary reason I got a C2D, but I don't think it'll matter any time in the next five years.

5. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just go for the CD Macbook, since I was looking to save as much as possible.

6. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea, basically only get the c2d if youve got the money too... only benefits there are just a lil faster and help the heat... only real differences

if money is a factor def go with the cd.. its not a night or day difference, it all depends on your specific situation. go cd in your situation