Core Duo or Core 2 Duo Macbook Refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by umiwangu, Jan 31, 2007.

1. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    I've been waiting to get a Macbook since last September. I won't be using it that much (use a desktop PC as primary computer) and have a tight budget. Now that Apple have both CD & C2D refurbed Macbooks, I'm not sure which to get.

Are the benefits of C2D worth $150 (the difference between 1.8 Ghz CD & C2D)? I've heard that temperatures are a bit lower and I guess you have the option of 802.11 N?. Was much done in the new revision?

Thanks in advance!
  2. kumbaya macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2005
  3. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2006
    Flyover country
    Not really. I have a CD Macbook, a couple of weeks after I bought it the C2Ds came out. I don't have any C2D envy. The CD Macbooks have more than enough power to cover everyday tasks. For me, 802.11n doesn't matter. I have neither the inclination or the money to upgrade my entire network right now, and probably won't anytime soon.
  4. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    My wife has a black CD MacBook and I have a white C2D MacBook. Same clockspeed, soon-to-be same amount of RAM, and obviously same OS and so forth. There's not much of a difference that I've seen. She hasn't complained about heat, random shutdowns, or anything else.

You might be future-proofing a little by getting a 64-bit machine, but I doubt it. That's the primary reason I got a C2D, but I don't think it'll matter any time in the next five years.
  5. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just go for the CD Macbook, since I was looking to save as much as possible.
  6. redmeister macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2007
    yea, basically only get the c2d if youve got the money too... only benefits there are just a lil faster and help the heat... only real differences

if money is a factor def go with the cd.. its not a night or day difference, it all depends on your specific situation. go cd in your situation