Core Duo Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by imacintel, Apr 18, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

When they say the Intel Core Duo is 1.83 GHz, do they mean that is the speed per core? Because this thing feels pretty damn fast! This thing feels like over 3 GHz!!

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I am guessing it does. I hope its just not 2 .915 GHz chips.

I'm pretty sure its per core.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

YAHOO!! Now I can make fun of alota people!!!

5. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Now You guys learned how 2 round.

I can round, and If i do i can say my processor speed is just under 4 Ghz.

Technically, Its 3.66 GhZ

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Here's a good recent article on actual performance of the Core Duo compared to a number of other CPUs.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q2/core-duo/index.x?pg=1

B

7. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yup, both. but it's been said. The Core Duo is a very powerful chip. but I wouldn't like to eat it. It costs a bomb.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. Each core runs at the specified clock rate and the CPU itself smokes every other CPU Intel has made on many specs, not just performance/watt.

B

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

It is pretty competitive with AMD Opterons.. does make me worried about AMD's future sometimes.

As much as I like the Core CPUs, I do like AMD to stick around too and not go under a few quarters from now.

12. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yeah, there was no question of AMD's continued growth not long ago, but Intels change in direction, even though it took an age, is giving some fantastic results - and Core Duo is just the very beginning.

Still, AMD have already proved they can innovate - I can't see them going anywhere, not with the gains they have made in the server market while Intel has been scrambling in the dirt.

I've got the Core Duo in my Mac mini and I'm so impressed. This much power in something so tiny feels so wrong, but so good ;)

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

Yeap, exactly the same I felt.

No need to power on that dual processor AMD opteron box anymore... and the mini is so silent and swift. Downside is few native applications though, but that's probably something that's set to change.

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Technically, it's two cores each at 1.83GHz. That's not the same as one core at 3.66GHz. At best, if the software you're running is optimized for multiple cores, you'll see a 2x speed up over a single 1.83GHz CPU, but you're unlikely to get that often, if at all.

15. portent macrumors 6502a

Either way, you'd be lying :)

You can't add up the operating frequency of two electronic devices and get any meaningful number.

It's like getting nine women pregnant so you can have a baby in one month.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Not quite the same. With careful programming you can split the load to get close to 2x the performance for some operations.

17. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

MHz isn't the only thing that matters anymore. Yes it is 1.83GHz per core, but with one core switched off you'll find this thing will outperform a Pentium 4 which has a much higher MHz just because it's a much better processor. The days when the MHz value would determine which chip was fastest are long, long gone.

18. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

And with careful programming you can have a baby every month for 9 months ;). But you're right, not quite the same.

It's more like having two mouths and eating two sandwiches at the same time versus having one mouth and eating two sandwiches in sequence. Even with two mouths, you'd still only have one throat, so it's not quite twice as fast.