Core Duo really as good as G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hob, May 10, 2006.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I've just been playing around my Core Duo iMac... having swapped from a Dual-2GHz G5, I assumed the Dual-2GHz intel would be as good. Somethings are a lot snappier, but I was just surprised, when I tried a little "trick" to impress my friends with my G5... What I did was play every episode of the sopranos I had on my hard disk (about 20) and the push f10. they stuttered a bit, but once I closed a few I got about 7-8 to play well, simultaniously.

Just tried it on my iMac with 5 episodes, they all stuttered then QuickTime crashed! I hope this isn't the way intel apps behave all the time.... :(

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are trying to compare an Intel-based iMac to a G5 tower--consumer computer to a professional computer. Needless to say, the differences between the two computers is much greater than the differences between the processors.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

MisterMe is right, they're not the same, and they're not comparible. You're comparing what I assume is a dual-processor G5 tower with a dual-core mobile chip in a compact iMac.

4. milo macrumors 604

Depends on a lot of things. I've seen things where the intel macs keep up, some where they don't as much.

Playing back things like that depend on a lot of things. How much ram is in each machine? You're also taxing the hard drive quite a bit, that may make a difference. Also depends on the codec, which one is it? Many of the intel codecs are still in beta and are either unreliable or not optimized well yet.

5. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

1 Gig in both!

6. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Damn, and the intel has even faster RAM. Let's see, both have 7.200 rpm. drives. How are the graphic cards? D'ya have 128 or 256 in your iMac, and what did you have in the beast?

7. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Hell yes!

8. afornander macrumors 6502

intel macs are going to look a little slow for a wile, apple is still switching to intel and have to get the bugs out a bit.:D

9. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Both had 256 MB Graphics, 1GB RAM and Dual 2GHz cores... Just the way the two technologies seem to deal with loads is different.

10. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

That is strange, from my experience, my imac seems just as fast if not faster than my dual 2.0 G5. But, on a positive note, who needs to watch that many videos at once!?! :D

11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

How's that post count coming? :rolleyes:

Spammer. :rolleyes:

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i agree

give apple some time and they will have the core duo work with os x as seamlessly as the g5 does with os x

also, as mentioned a couple of times in this thread, you are comparing a consumer machine to a professional one

13. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I never though I'd get hidden white text from you!!

It is strange how pretty much the same systems perform differently with Quicktime, if everything is Universal (my guess). It's rattling my brain..

14. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Just because the PM is labeled a "professional" machine and the iMac a "consumer" machine does not a world of difference make. The 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo will be faster in many things than dual 2.0GHz G5's but the oppoisite is also true. My guess is that since Quicktime has been optimized for Altivec for all these years, the Intel computers just can't match it (yet).

15. studio673 macrumors newbie

In my experience how a video is encoded can have a big influence on how it plays back. Given that QuickTime works well on Intel powered single core PC's I can't see why it should pose a problem on the latest Dual Core Mac's other than the fact that the codecs are yet to be optimised in Universal Binary.