Core Duo successfully over-clocked to 3.8GHz

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 9, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Processors
    Link: Core Duo successfully over-clocked to 3.8GHz
    Description:: The T2600 is the current top of the line 2.16GHz chip Intel ships. Yet one user has gotten the chip to run as high as 3.21 GHz using air-cooling, and up to 3.8GHz using phase change cooling.
    .... theoretically, the current stock of Intel chips could likely run much faster than they currently do, providing they were put inside something BIG enough to support such a cooling system… something like, say, a PowerMac.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

3. macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

gimme some benchmarks

i really dont care what speed the processor runs at
    as long as it can perform.

id take a Core Treo 24mhz cpu over a 4ghz Core Duo if it performed faster

4. macrumors 68020

sunfast

That's quite fast. But, yeah, I'd like to see some benchmarks too.

5. macrumors 68030

Platform

Yup give me some of those Treos :cool:

6. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Here's the rub. . . It's not all about clock speed. You have to find a comfortable medium betwen clock speed and temperature. For instance, a 3.6 GHz chip running at a right chilly 34C will outperform a 4.0 GHz chip running at 60C+ easily. You see, the higher the temperature, the higher the resistance a material presents. The higher the resistance, the more trouble electrons have flowing through said material, and the harder Silicon transistors have to work to get the job done. Often higher temperatures, such as those present in laptops can lead to errors in the data paths that the chips have to correct for and this further slows processing down. That is generally why an equally clocked desktop will handily outpace a laptop, other factors such as HDD speed also play a role. So if this guy has a 2.16 GHz chip running at 4.0 and he's pushing 70C he can keep it, I'll take a 3.0 and 40-45C any day.

7. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

He's actually referring to the chip containing one TRILLION 24Mhz cores!

8. macrumors G4

Mord

on the same cpu core speed increases with clock speed in a linear fassion until the bottleneck hits something elce like the memory speed. which with the core duo would happen at 4.32GHz

9. macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Magnificent, in a few months, the Powermac will be the fastest computer able to run Windows. I can't wait to let Oblivion go wild on such a system.

10. macrumors G4

More hot tip...

Hey that's good. The same logic applies to disk drives too, you know. If the
    platters spin to fast the force causes the recorded bits to slide to the outside
    of the disk and eventually collect on the insides of trhe dive case.

One more tip: I can make my PC run faster by staightening the cables as best I can.
    You see, the electrons have to slow down to make those turns, straight cables equals faster electrons equals fater computer.

11. macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

That would be sweet!
    of course running single threaded apps would be dreadfully slow!

12. macrumors G4

Mord

anyone who thinks heat has an effect on cpu performance at a given clock speed needs their head examined, if anything happened in a way that it shouldent that error will probably snowball and freeze the pc, either it is stable at that speed or it does not, simple as.

13. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Do you actually know anything about electricity? Because I have an engineering degree from GA Tech. Warmer materials conduct electricity more poorly than cooler materials. Have you ever heard of a thing called a super conductor? Superconductance is the transmission of electrons as electricity through a material with and infinitely small loss i.e. none. Last time I checked, the warmest superconducting material worked at 125 degrees kelvin. That's a right chilly -148C, or for the lay person who can't do a simple C to F conversion, -234F. Last time i checked, computers ran, oh about 200C or 392f too warm to conduct electricity without loss. Therefore, loss of electrons = slower and more costly transfer of information. Therefore, a conducting material running at nearly boiling is much less efficient than a material running at 30C.

Next time you want to treat someone like an idiot, I suggest you know what the hell you're talking about.

14. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Have you ever overclocked a GPU? I ask because it's the easiest way to see a processor make errors because of heat. You see, at a certain point, the processor becomes unable to cope with the errors generated from lost data. This is when the GPU goes total guano and starts putting gibberish on the screen. any type of CPU can only cope with so much heat before the errors generated become to great to deal with. All modern chips have internal thermometers that tell them to abandon ship when things get too warm. Where do you guys think the heat in a computer comes from, Nesting sea birds? Heat in a computer and in a chip more specifically, is the by product of lost electrons which are converted from electrical energy to heat energy. The generation of this heat becomes exponential at a certain point because higher heat cosses less efficient transfer of energy, and thus more heat is generated as a byproduct.

15. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Dude, know what you're talking about before stating complete bull. I'm amazed at how people who don't know the first thing about electronics act like they know it all. Heat does have an effect on performance and for those who don't think so are just ignorant like none other.

16. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

::Golf Clap::

17. macrumors G4

Mord

seeing as i've overclocked more computers than most have used, have been offered electrical engineering scholarships learnt to solder before i could ride a bike and am at the top of my electronics class (allbeit with only two others) i think i know a little bit more than you. even if you do infact have an engineering degree, which has nothing to do with electronics or physics.

the clock speed effects the speed, the heat effects the maximum clock speed attainable, gpu's are different as the information does not go back and forth much , only now do they have a bidirectional bus, so they are very tolerant of errors, but add another 20MHz and bam the screen go's black

the clock speed and the clock speed only governs the speed of a given processor the "MHz" is the number of times per second a cpu can complete a cycle, how faster the electrons go has no effect on performance it just allows higher clock speeds to be available.

someone who actually knows something back me up here, or if you don't go do some research before contradicting me.

amendum:

as for the "speed of electricity" the speed of electricity is c, the speed of light, the speed of the electrons is much much slower and has very little effect on anything, think of the electrons like a circular conga line, when one as the back starts the move the one at the front moves too, and the speed that the forward push go's at is the speed of light, however once the signal to go has gone all the way around the electrons are all going at a slow speed, however the "attack" of the electrons is always C.

i dont have the time right now but i'll do a full explanation of how voltage effects the stability of a cpu with diagrams.

18. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Yes, I guess you turned away the droves of doctors just groveling at your feet to give you electronics degrees. No one cares, nor does it matter any more, this post is dead, and I petition the thread to be closed or at the very least, all of these posts erased. This land must be cleansed and born anew.

And about the soldering bit. . . Did you know that Chuck norris lost his virginity before his dad did? Beat that.

19. macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

clock blocks

some ppl need to take a chill pill... dont get angry at ignorant people, help them to understand thier misconceptions...

20. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

:confused:

What's this stuff all about, people saying silly things about Chuck Norris? Please, explain it to me.

21. macrumors G4

Mord

just accept that your wrong, preferably gracefully, heck it would be better if you never posted in this thread before rather than having a hissy fit because i know more about electronics and physics than you.

Edit: oh and you need to improve your sarcasm detection skills.

oh and chuck norris is an old, kind of washed up karate dude, who is almost as cool as Mr T, he's the butt of many a "Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked someone so hard that his foot broke the speed of light, went back in time, and killed Amelia Earhart while she was flying over the Pacific Ocean." joke.

22. macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I think this news is a testament to how good the new Intel chips are. Just a few more months and everything will have transitioned over to the new way of doing things and both Windows and OS X will be very glad of the change.

I wonder if we'll finally break 4GHz now?

23. macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

www.chucknorrisfacts.com

24. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I know more than you *piss piss*

Electricity doesn't move at the speed of light. Massless force carriers move at the speed of light. Massive charge carriers do not, which means electrons and quarks.

Lets say you turn on an electric field that is made to accelerate an electron distance d down your wire. That electron will not accelerate until it feels the force, thus it will take t=d/c to start moving. Causality means that action at a distance requires time.

25. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

Prolly the SAE units confusung the brits.

on a side note, I think that this has spurred many quite good intellectual statements. Very good stuff coming out of some of our members.

And don't claim that that bit about the scholarships was sarcasm, cause if it was, you're not at all funny. And if it was the bit about the soldering, that would be hyperbole, not sarcasm.

God I love a good pissing match!