Core Duo won't saturate?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Demon Hunter, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I can't saturate either core in Activity Monitor! What's going on? If a process is going slowly, shouldn't 100% of a core be used?

H.264 1080p gets 50% out of each...

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The processors are far more capable than the available bandwidth.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If it can play that 1080p with no dropped frames, there is nothing to worry about. Just do APPLE-I in Quicktime and it should tell you the FPS, if it's running at the full frame rate you are fine.

4. x86 macrumors regular

x86

If you want to max out your processors you can always type "yes > /dev/null" in two different terminal windows...

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

That is odd. Have you tried encoding a few things at the same time, maybe one in Final Cut, one in Quicktime, and another in iDVD or something, just to see that that pushes them any more?

I would guess he's talking about rendering, not playback.

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

when im ripping DVDs on my MacBook i can get 185% of the CPU being used... lol i love dual core chips

7. nermal0 macrumors regular

does anyone know how to tell fink to use both cores for compiling? In Linux I just need to pass the "-j" flag to parallelize make. How do I do that in fink?

8. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, I was wondering what that command was.

9. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Don't know if this is a setting for your system but do you have the energy settings set to maximum for the CPU?

10. AlexSpark macrumors newbie

Answer:

Most apps are not coded/designed to use over 100% of a CPU, thus they will never go over 100%. This is great for multitasking, but not if you need that added boost of performance.

As the multi core trend progresses, so will the number of app will support over 100%.

11. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Why when I am encoding a DVD in idvd I am only getting about 50% CPU usage...?

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

How much RAM do you have?

I don't know much about video encoding but a DVD is probably sitting between 2-4.7 GB of data. If there is not much RAM for storing the data then there will have to be many, many disk accesses in order to retrieve the data for encoding and storing the encoded data. Since disk accesses are the slowest form of memory access it is entirely possible that you are not able to get the processor enough data in order to get full utilization.

Of course that's just my current theory.

13. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Thats not it I have 2 gigs of Ram.

14. AlexSpark macrumors newbie

Is that 50% of 200% ?

Where abouts in the Activity Monitor are you reading that figure? In the summery at the bottom or in the list or programs?

The summery will only go up to 100% no matter how many cores you have. So in theory 50% in the summery on a CoreDuo is 100% of one of the cores.

Like I said before in this thread, not all programs are designed with multi-threading in mind and thus will not go over 100% of one core.

15. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

You would think idvd seeing that it is designed for the Mac and is UB for the Intel would like to max the cores out.

16. AlexSpark macrumors newbie

iMove has been around a heck of a lot longer than Apple has been releasing Multi Core systems for. Well maybe the PowerMac ... :/

The fact that you bring up UB and Intel has no impacked on the fact that iMovie isnt a Multi-Threaded program.

Ive owned a PowerMac G5 for about 2 years now, most of my apps arnt Multi-Threaded. A good example is that ive been encoding Flash videos for a project, now coming upto 24 hours. If it was a multi-threaded program than it would of taken half the time. These are inherent trade offs off muti-core systems.

The upside is that I still have another 100% i can use to do other things while my video is encoding.

17. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Ok very true just wanted to make sure more or less that this was normal.

18. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

I think my MBP is running faster with 2 instances of yes>/dev/null running

19. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

What system is this on? If it is a laptop you might check your Energy Settings to see if it is on battery saver mode which I believe limits the processors as well. Just a thought.