Core i5 & i7 Overheating Issues True?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prabz26, Apr 28, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Prabz26

So I've heard about this issue online and some people on here are claiming it to be false. What I want to know is from everyone here who owns an Core i5 or Core i7 new MackBook Pro, have you experienced over heating issues?

2. macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" i7 MBP and I've played COD4 for an extended period with no problems. The fans kick in and it shows about 160F as the temp, but no problems at all.

3. macrumors regular

No probs here either. I think those rumors began because of a review which was done on a faulty MacBook Pro. The fan on that particular unit was not kicking in.

4. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

my cpu runs between 160-200F when im on Skype. Thats it

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Prabz26

so what is a good temperature
    because I'd be using the MBP for like uni
    so using word, youtube, msn, facebook, itunes at once stuff like that
    nothing extensive

you think I'd have problems?

6. macrumors 65816

For those things you mention it should not break a sweat

7. macrumors newbie

I have the new mbp 15 inch i-5 and it gets extremely hot after only 5min on a hard load. i.e. WoW. I'm seriously thinking about giving it back before this trial period ends. I originally bought it for video editing, FCP. i needed portability and power.

this is my first mac. i love the way it looks and handles. i really like the battery life. i'm a little choked that i waited this long to get burnt.

any advice would be appreciated. (i'm talking about the new i-5 mcb overheating. not a core duo.)

15 inch MBP i-5 2.53g

8. macrumors 65816

ozreth

A lot of people who get their first mac have this reaction to how hot the aluminum gets. Because you haven't used a computer this thin, in this body, and made out of aluminum the heat can be alarming. Maybe post some temps?

9. macrumors member

I have a 1st gen MBP and am waiting on the arrival of my new i5. But my old macbook pro also got really hot. If I'm using it around the house I put it on this...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK789ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Nw&mco=MTA4NzU0MDI&s=topSellers

10. macrumors member

[​IMG]

11. macrumors 6502

The one thing that makes these things heat up is running Flash. Sad but true :(

12. macrumors newbie

I used an older MBP 15 inch, new at the time, around 06, at a film school. I also used one of the 09 MBP for a month or so from a friend. I did load them down My current MBP gets much hotter. I assume yours is not any hotter then previous models you have owned? do you ever load it down heavily?

As for temps, I don't have a gun. I'm not sure how else to get them.

Please understand, I've used macs before. I'm talking about loading it down, not surfing the net with multiple applications. Of coarse, I am new to this, so don't take anything too serious. I'm not a professional, just a concerned person who is relatively new to mac.

Any advice is most welcome!! i'm scared and don't know what the best option is for me. do i protect my investment and return the mac before the trial period, 14 days, is up? wait a few months for apple to sort this out and then buy another?

13. macrumors 65816

Scott6666

No problems at all. 15" i7. Love it.

Fans at 2k always.

Temps 50-60C but running Netbeans, Firefox and Illustrator right now.

14. macrumors newbie

I got no problem with that ...
    average temperature is 27-37 C
    i din push my mac to max ... maybe that's why :)

15. macrumors 68000

I have not tried computationally intensive applications yet. So far, there is no problem.

16. macrumors 6502

My i5 runs so much cooler then my old 07 c2d that the possibility to have babys has exponentially increased!:D

17. macrumors newbie

real quick reply here before i go to bed. after doing some extensive tests i found that this new 2010 mbp i5 2.53g does not go above heat limits when loaded down. my initial presumptions on this overheating were wrong. i hope this clears up any confusion one might have read into my posts.

p.s. i maxed out at 77c after running it a few hours at full throttle

18. macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

My i5 runs much cooler then my late08 unibody same specs.

19. macrumors member

What are your idle temps people?
    My i7 it's always at 40º average...

Speaking bout CPU only.
    Right now, xCode on and Firefox, CPU @42-43ºC.

edit:

Ok. I shoot 4 "yes > /dev/null" on the same time.
    I've seen this little guy at 101ºC. So its true.
    Until it have reached bout 90ºC it doesn't started the fans stronger. But after it, i've seen the fans rise up to 5100 rpm, making temps slow down to 85ºC +/-.
    Now it's 49-50ºC.

I cant know the Ambient temps right now... but you see.
    What do you think?

20. macrumors 65816

barefeats

When I run anything that's intense (like After Effects or Biosphere), the CPU and GPU both reach near 200F. The 17" Core i7 maxes at 196F. The 15" Core i7 maxes at 208F -- according to Hardware Monitor.

According to Hardware Monitor, as long as you stay below 220F, you should be fine.

21. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Nope. Runs almost as cool as my old 13" unibody macbook.

22. macrumors 6502a

ubercool

My MBP 15/2.53/500GB 7200rpm ran much cooler than my unibody MacBook. Fans ran mostly at 1999rpm while browsing while my MacBook is now showing 4711rpm with CPU temp at 69C, running just Mail, Firefox and Skype. :eek:

I'm now waiting for a replacement for my yellow tint screen problem. :)

23. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

That's not really a valid comparison. Run skype on both computers and you'll see the temps shoot up.

Here are some temps from my core i7 MBP...I've been using it on my lap on battery power for about an hour (temps in Fahrenheit):

Attached Files:

24. macrumors member

Bout replacement, you know wich one of those cases is?

a) You ask for a replacement, and they come to your house to get your actual MBP while they give you inmediatly a new one.

OR

b) You ask for replacement, and they come to your house, get the actual MBP, go to central, prepare a new one, come back to your house and finally, give the new one?

Wich case?

Cause if it's a), it's amazing! And it could only expend bout 5 days no more.
    But if it's b)... that a huge problem, cause I need my Mac for job, and can wait a lot if I decide to exchange it, for anything on those 14 magic days...

Thx! :)

25. macrumors 6502a

If your computer is running it isn't over heating. When they over heat they shut down so no damage is done.