Core Image & iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mark_275, Jun 18, 2005.

1. mark_275 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm contemplating a switch and was curious about Core Image. Besides the ripple, what else am I losing by getting iBook now? Is core image something that I should make sure whatever mac I get has? Will it become more vital later?? Thanks for any help.

2. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Everything you staed is true. It is something you should look for when getting a Mac and it WILL become more vital later, jut like all other new technologies. Heck, I remember when CD-ROM drives were something extraordinary and most computers did not have themyet. They were seen as something that was unnessaccary as it was only used for "multimedia" (remember when that was a new word) applications which were considered useless. Now Imagine a computer without a DVD-ROM drive and CD-RW let alone a CD-ROM drive. So yes, definantly want core image. And you'll definantly want to wait till the new iBooks which are anticipated as towards the end of June right now.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't think you need to worry about it too much. It's only being used for eye candy now, and no major programs made today make much use of it. If you buy a mid-range laptop, you're always going to expect that in a couple years it will struggle with high-end software, and waiting for a new iBook only means you'll start your two year wait a little later.

Your iBook will run all of today's programs and most of tomorrow's programs for the next 4 or 5 years. If you want one now, I'd suggest not putting it off. What happens in two months if there's no upgrade? That's two months you didn't get to enjoy an iBook.

4. kikuchiyo macrumors member

I'm in a similar position. I've really got to get a 12" iBook before moving to Japan in late August. Is the current thinking that an iBook update is coming around the end of June? Is Apple going to do the Cram and Jam promo again (not that I need it, I've got an 20G 4G, but it might be a good chance to get a 40 or 60).