Core Image Requirements

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Boobs, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Boobs macrumors newbie

I just read the GPU requirements for Core Image to actually take advantage. The lowest PB GPU is the mobility 9700, while I have the 9600.
    Does this mean that Core Image will not take full advantage of my PB?
    How much of a difference would I notice, graphics and speed wise?

2. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

All of that is currently undetermined. Anybody who could answer that question is still under NDA, you we'll have to wait for that to be lifted to find out.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Uh-OH!! I could have sworn that a list I saw earlier included the 9600 Mobility! That's what I have too. Did it change at the last minute?

Indeed! According to a post in this thread CoreImage/CoreVideo functions on a Mobility 9600.

4. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

It used to be on the list, but it is not on the most current one.

Speculation at Ars ranges from it being an oversight (it will work, but isn't on the list) through to an intentional slight for their contributor who complains too much ;)

We'll have to wait and see. Since the 9600 is so similar capability-wise to the 9700 it may still work, but just not be listed. Or we may be stuck with it being done on Altivec (which is the fallback path). Until the NDA comes off nobody can tell us how much slower the Altivec path is over the GPU path.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, Apple says "Core Image-capable graphics cards include" - this list does not exclude any cards specifically.

Also, if I heard correctly, depending on what card you have is how much will be done by the GPU and how much will fall back to the CPU(s).

Similar cards to those on the list should see the GPU utilized for at least some of the Core Image functions.

What it appears to be is mostly a list of GPUs that Apple currently sells.