Core solo laptop announced...iBook next?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by phampton81, Feb 7, 2006.

1. phampton81 macrumors member

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/07/toshiba_m400/

The first computer to sport the new Intel Core Solo I believe. The price is a bit scary, hopefully it has little to do with the cost of the processor.
    This could be good news for those waiting on new iBooks or Minis that sport Intel processors. I for one am waiting on a new iBook.

2. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

Same here. Although if the price happens to be that high for a new iBook, I think I would just go for a G4 iBook at that point.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That's a tablet PC, hence the high price. Still overpriced for what you get.

4. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I don't get the tablet PC trend. I guess it would be fun to have for awhile but I don't think I would use it that often.

5. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Not the first but close. The Dell E1705 base models have core solos in them and have been out for a little while.

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I just had a look at dell.com and it does indeed seem to be offered with Core Solo in the base model, and they have preliminary ship date 15th of Feb.

But what's up with the XGA, XGA+ WXFGA+! nonsense? Even the "Help Me Choose" option doesn't tell what resolution the screens are.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, the iBooks will be sporting the core solo, i.e. the single core variant of the Yonah. The performance edition of Yonah will be out soon as well, which may go into a 17" MacBook Pro. Then it will be onto Merom... :cool:

8. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Isn't there a relatively small price difference betwen the single and dual core processor? Seems like you would be saving very little in processor cost but taking a massive hit in performance.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, but rightly or wrongly there probably needs to be some sort of product differentiation between the lines, and although better graphics, more ports, etc. is a good way to accomplish that, the processor is another way, and reagrdless of the cost this is the way I see Apple heading with the iBook. :cool:

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Here you go. :)

I guess Dell doesn't have anything to brag about... ;)