"Core Video" Video Converter?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by projectle, Jul 13, 2006.

1. projectle macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    Is there a video converter that utilizes Core Video to allow for more rapid video conversions (Such as converting MPEG2 Video to MPEG4 Video)?

I am really interested in converting a bunch of my Stargate DVDs so that I can store them on my Mini and access through frontrow without needing to change DVDs.

If there is not something there that can handle it, is there a particular video converter that runs faster than others?
  2. superted666 Guest

Oct 17, 2005
    id be instrested in this too.
    im converting all my movies to H264 which is awsome but gees it takes time!
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Handbrake or something like that. Core Video isn't really what you think it is, but any conversion app would work for you. I'm sure there are many threads about this in the Audio and Video section. Also try searching Mac Update for some apps, such as Handbrake.
  4. projectle thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks for the clarification, I just thought that...

"Core Video is a new pipeline model for digital video in Mac OS X. Partitioning the processing into discrete steps makes it simpler for developers to access and manipulate individual frames without having to worry about translating between data types (QuickTime, OpenGL, and so on) or display synchronization issues.

Core Video and Core Image depend on accelerated Video Cards for the use of Quartz Extreme."

I was under the impression that it applied to all forms of image and video manipulation and rendering. I know that under Windows, there are video conversion applications and video rendering applications that will make use of the GPU to make rendering and video conversion take place at near real-time speeds. Before making the switch to a final generation Powerbook 17" 9 months ago, I used Pinnacle Systems' Liquid Editing System which did just that (formerly FAST Multimedia's FASTstudio, and now Avid's Liquid).
  5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    QT pro will do it, and you can script it. You may have to buy the MPG2 add on if your wanting to export in that direction. If you have FCP, Compressor will also convert latteraly.
  6. Yuvi macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    For the most part, video decoding/encoding is done on the CPU. From what I can tell from their website, Avid Liquid 7 uses the GPU for effects, not for encoding/decoding, which is exactly what Core Video does. I know there is some use of the GPU for accelerating decoding certain video formats on PCs (WMV and H.264 are the only two I've heard this about), but from what I've heard about them on PCs, they tend to be extremely buggy. I haven't heard of using the GPU for encoding, and I'm not aware of any Mac OS X codecs that use the GPU at all.

Basically, Core Video provides two things. First is a new pipeline that makes is easier for developers to manipulate pixel data. Second is realtime application of Core Image filters to video, which takes place on the GPU. However, it only manipulates uncompressed frames; decompression has to occur before Core Video comes into play and compression after.

As for your needs, Handbrake is the best option unless you want to get complicated. It uses one of the best MPEG4 ASP encoders available, and the best H.264 encoder available. Plus, it's free.