Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.adam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I'd like to query this too.

I've got a 2Ghz Core2Duo Macbook, approx one year old.

Came with 1GB RAM, have upgraded to 2GB since I thought this was the maximum it could handle, is this the case?

RAM is cheap as chips nowadays, I'd put 4GB in it if it could take it...

Any help/real-world experiences of doing something similar would be greatly appreciated.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I'd like to query this too.

I've got a 2Ghz Core2Duo Macbook, approx one year old.

Came with 1GB RAM, have upgraded to 2GB since I thought this was the maximum it could handle, is this the case?

RAM is cheap as chips nowadays, I'd put 4GB in it if it could take it...

Any help/real-world experiences of doing something similar would be greatly appreciated.

This is a different story. You have a Core 2 Duo and it will take 3 or 3.3 depending on if you have a 1GB + 2GB (3) or 2GB + 2GB (~3.3).

My contention is with the statement about Core Duo.... you know, without the 2.

.adam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
This is a different story. You have a Core 2 Duo and it will take 3 or 3.3 depending on if you have a 1GB + 2GB (3) or 2GB + 2GB (~3.3).

My contention is with the statement about Core Duo.... you know, without the 2.

Thanks for the heads-up, mate.

So I'll be removing one of my 1GB RAM modules and replacing it with a 2GB module, does the 2GB module need to be the same specs as the 1GB module that's curently in there?

The options I'm seeing available to buy are:

DDR2 PC2-6400/DDRII-800
DDR2 PC2-5300/DDRII-667
DDR2 PC2-4200/DDRII-533
DDR2 PC2-8500/DDRII-1066

I'll have to check which type I have in at the moment when I get home.

canada2010

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
So the most RAM that one can have in their Macbook Pro is actually 3 Gb,
but if you have 4 it acts as 3.3?
Is that correct?
Because in that case, would it not be better to either have 2 because it is the most for you money?

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I thought Leapord was a 64 bit OS on the Santa Rosa processors, so it would technically register all four gigs? I think what they were talking about is that Apple said their computer works better with paired ram sticks, rather than putting the one gig stick in with a two gig stick. However, according to the RAM page that was pretty much disproven: http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM

BlackJackMax

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
Ireland
Another RAM question...

Hey folks, bought my MacBook (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo /DDR2 PC2-5300/DDRII-667) in Jan 07, with 1GB stock, running Tiger.

All documentation that came with it says the RAM limit for it is 2GB. Well, I found a good deal on 2 x 2GB sticks. Dropped them in for a scary, "I hope my Mac doesn't blow up" moment, and everything seems to work fine.

It shows up in 'About this Mac' as 4GB, and 'Advanced' view says they're both 'OK'.

They also show up fine in System Profiler.

My question is basically, is this going to do any harm to my MacBook? Like a meltdown or something?

Also, I subsequently upgraded to Leopard, and everything still seems fine.

Appreciate the help guys...

-Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.