core2duo vs core duo battery life/performance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrweirdo, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

well since I've had nothing but problems with my current macbook and had it in for repair 3 times and still having issues so I'm going to call apple customer relations tomorrow and ask for a replacement.

The question I have is would it be worth it to push for a core2 duo in exchange for my core duo? Does it get better battery life? is it any faster other then the fact that its a 64-bit chip?

2. Mozze macrumors member

yes you should get better battery life depending on what speed chip you get.
    also the performance difference between CD/C2D is that AMD for over 2 years now had a huge lead over Intel in price/performance/quality/wattage C2D changed that Intel still a little pricey but well worth it.

One of many reviews from Intel
    Difference between Merom core (Core 2 Duo) and Yonah core (Core Duo)

Compared to Intel Core Duo (Yonah), Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom) has larger L2 cache, slightly deeper pipeline and added decode and execution units. In addition, Merom features more aggressive pre-fetch mechanisms than Yonah, as well as Intel’s Memory Disambiguation technology that allows for out-of-order loads. In other words, not only is Merom able to process more data at once, at a faster speed, but it can also get access to that data quicker.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I am going to write one long sentence/paragraph/statement that will answer your question but so vaguely as to not really answer the question but more show that i am or at least was a fan of AMD over Intel at one time in the recent past.

Actually, my answer is: Good luck getting a Core2Duo upgrade. I doubt they will go for it. They'll just send you an exact replacement, if anything.

4. mrweirdo thread starter macrumors 6502

yea thats what I'm thinking but at least its worth a try :D
    Actually I would be happy if they replaced the casing covering the back of the lcd(since they manage to scratch it all up in their last repair effort) and something like a discount on apple care as i have yet to purchase it.

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i used to have a CD 2.0 MB and MBP and now i'm using a C2D 2.16 MBP (all three w/ 2gb ram). while i don''t notice any speed increase or longer battery life, i think the advantages of a C2D are improved heat management, 801.11n, and added FW800 on 15" MBP.

hopefully you'll get what you want. :)

6. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

IF they replace it, they will replace it for a brand new machine. ie C2D...

I had a PowerBook G4, one of the Rev. A Aluminum 15" with the spotty screens. I bought AppleCare for it, which ran out in October, right shortly after the release of the C2D MBP... After a dead screen last march, and a couple of bad logic boards in september, they replaced my 1Ghz PBG4 with a brand new C2D MBP... It felt like I had robbed the place. But it was in fact their decision to replace it. Essentially, if they replace the machine, it will be with a brand new one.

Talk to the right person on the right day and you will get taken care quite nicely... And AppleCare can pay high dividends occasionally...

Go on and write your letter, you may be suprised...

7. bsolomonny macrumors regular

I have a late release CD Blackbook and my brother has the 2.0 GHZ c2d and i notice no difference in heat or speed. I have not checked battery performance but i have read the difference is not that big. On the other hand my girlfriend has the white 2.0 CD MB and hers runs hot and has a loud fan. I think they fixed many of the CD MB problems near the end of the product life cycle.

8. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

im certainly no expert on the matter, but my guess is that the speed difference will be more apparent when 64-bit becomes more prevalent...

9. djpl macrumors member

So at home I have a 15-inch Core Duo MBP 2.16GHz with 2GB RAM and 7200RPM HD. At work I have a 17-inch Core 2 Duo MBP 2.33GHz with same RAM and HD. I notice my battery in the 17-inch lasts FAR longer than my 15-inch, and the 17-inch runs MUCH cooler. However, what I don't know is if that's the difference between CD and C2D or the 15 and 17 inch machines.