Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpramodjain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Banglore
Hi,

Is there any documentation regarding CoreLocation Warning (at the start of app), from iPhone device (iPhoen sdk) as follows :

1) In OS 3.0 : Turn on location services to Allow "Appname" to Determine your location

2) In OS 4.0 : "Appname" would like to access your location

Similar prompt of above kinds would be prompted from Framework or device (not sure).

Do anyone know or experienced this type of issue (not getting prompted once the second time.. ) in reference to Appstore HIG.

cnstoll

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
I'm not sure what your question is.

The prompt is generated automatically by the CoreLocation framework when you create an instance of CLLocationManager. Or maybe it's when you try to start location updates on that instance of the location manager. Regardless, you don't have to generate the prompt yourself.

mpramodjain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Banglore
I'm not sure what your question is.

The prompt is generated automatically by the CoreLocation framework when you create an instance of CLLocationManager. Or maybe it's when you try to start location updates on that instance of the location manager. Regardless, you don't have to generate the prompt yourself.

Yeah, I agreed. But we didn't get this prompt every time the application is started (The instance of CLLocationManger is created). Is it necessary to have this as per Appstore HIG

mpramodjain

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Banglore
Out of curiosity, how the appstore testing guys can know that an application is using Core-Location frame work, do they use any tool to know the frameworks (Message, Address ...etc) being used in the application.

cnstoll

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
The prompt only appears the first time the application runs. After the user has approved it's access the prompt is no longer displayed.

And yes Apple reviewers can definitely see if you've used CoreLocation via the Instruments utility which you yourself can use as part of the development tools.

davidw82

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
From what I know, the message actually appears the two first times you run the application. Once the user has accepted it twice it doesn't show anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.