Corpse as art?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JesseJames, Sep 7, 2004.

1. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    few threads on this already ;)

but, it's soooooooooooooooooo^10000 fascinating too see.. they almost look fake.

2. JLS macrumors 6502

This guy brought his crazy bodies to London about 3 years ago.. I didn't visit.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would find that exhibit to be fascinating. Definitely not an exhibit for the general public. No better way to study anatomy than to view the real thing.

4. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Yeah, I saw Body Worlds about a month ago in LA. Crazy to see this stuff up close, I mean, it's one thing to see them in biology books, and it's another to get mere inches from it. It's an amazing experience if you can handle it.

The only thing I have to complain about at the LA show was that the last part of the gallery is on the 3rd floor, and right below this open air museum is a McDonalds. Now, I'm looking at these bodies, up close mind you, and I'm smelling chicken mcnuggets. Yeah, needless to say, I won't be eating there (not like I was eating there anyway....).

Good show. I highly recommended it to the Mac community.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Without clicking on the link, can I guess this is the Korperwelten exhibit?

The best model yet is actually the most famous one, and one of the originals. Its that of a skinned man sitting on top of a skinned horse. Sign me up for 2 of those!! :cool:

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly hope that this exhibit will come to Boston. Would gladly pay the $12 entrance fee.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Doesn't look like it's coming to Boston.

Anyone recognize the OS in this picture? Link is higher res than attached image....

Attached Files:

8. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

He's even listening to to a cd on the ol' OS9 Apple Audio Player! They've got posters of that in the exhibit. I almost bought one.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is sad, may they will change their minds. The picture is interesting picture a corpse looking at a computer with a corpse looking at a computer screen. My first thought was that it has similarities to a Mac. The screen looks similar to an older iMac or Cinema Display. My guess on the software would be Mac OS 9.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's an excellent exhibit. I just saw it in LA and I was pleasently surprised to see so many parents bring their kids.

I think the thread title is a bit off though. This isn't corpses as art, it's corpses as science. The "dynamic" poses of most of the bodies lets you see how everything in the body "fits." There isn't a single "pose" that would allow you to see everything the body has to offer and how it's woven together.

Lethal

11. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Its an amazing exhibit. I worked at the Science Center, and I have seen this and the many other exhibits there MANY times. This is a top notch display. Although the CSC is a bit run down and beat up, it does have some excellent displays and a unique feel to the museum. The Body Works is well done and put together well.
    The museum is free, but you have to pay to park and pay if you want to see the IMAX, and of course, Body Works has a fee because its a traveling show.
    But if you are in the LA area, its worth the trip. They are located next to USC.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We have an IMAX theater at our Science Museum. Maybe the film at least will make its way to Boston. All the great reviews make me jealous. Even more exciting because of my memories of assisting pathologists during an autopsy.