Correcting for monitor flicker on video cameras

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacMaster, Aug 27, 2002.

1. MacMaster macrumors 6502

How do you do this? To get it so the picture shows no flashes when you look at a CRT monitor...What must I do...It's pretty urgent. If you need more info just ask!

2. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

btw...if it's possible I'd also like to fix this on a digital camera...The video camera is a Cannon ZR10 and the Digital camera is a Kodak DC280...if that helps...It's for a movie I'm making(in imovie...);)

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

you have to use a special filter in order to get rid of the flicker....I forget what its called, but that's what you need. I don't remember, but I think it might be a bit costly...

4. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well...I guess I'll have to deal with it...
    It will look "real":D ;)

Thanks!:)

5. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

hey, np.....if you have access to an LCD use that....or dont show the monitor..

Good luck.

6. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah...the only LCD's I have are "connected" to an imac and ibook...If I decide I have to show the CRT I'll use the digital camera and make it a kind of "time lapse(sp?)" effect. The flicker is pretty much unnoticeable on the dc...wierd!:rolleyes:

7. Classic macrumors regular

No special fileter required

Just set your refresh rate on your CRT monitor to 60Hz. That's the same frequency as the NTSC standard. (PAL is 50 Hz.)

That is why your lights don't flicker, because they are the same frequency. However, if yoyu take an NTSC camera to Europe or a PAL camera to the US, and start taping video, you'll notice a slight flicker in the lights.

8. MacBram macrumors member

monitor flicker on video

Yes. This is related to the fact that NTSC is 30 frames per second and PAL is 25 fps. Reset your refresh rate as Classic suggested and play around with shutter speed settings in multiples thereof. Changing shutter speed might help with digital stills, too.

This eliminates the flicker for me. You won't need any special filters or anything.

Rip

9. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

adjusting the frequency on your monitor is definitely the way to go. I think there are some filters out there, but they aren't that hot at it, and I'm not sure there is one for iMovie. If you have some maual control on your camera, adjust the shutterspeed to get what you want perfect. Messig wiht the manual controls is going to give you the best video anyway, beware the wuomatic modes.;)

10. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

or else you could do things the hard way and put a bright green sheet or piece of paper over the monitor and add something in after you chroma key the scene in adobe premiere or final cut pro...ha ha ha...we did that once...it turned out to be a lot of work because of the weird angles.

11. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, changing the refresh rate sounds good...but how do you do that manually?:confused:

12. MacBram macrumors member

It's right in the system preferences, displays control panel

13. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Doh, ah now I see thanks!:p