Corrupt data vs. Faulty HDD Case?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bassism, Mar 29, 2007.

1. bassism macrumors member

I have a problem with my external USB HDD.
    When listening to some of my music in iTunes, iTunes will lock up and start skipping as if it can't read a cd. This is repeatable with certain songs. The same songs also won't copy to my iPod.

I have narrowed it down to either the files being corrupt, or the case being no good. The case is the cheapest one that I could buy, so it wouldn't seem too far out of the ordinary. Except that I don't have any troubles with any of the other files on the disk.

Which leads me to believe that some of my music files (maybe 5%, strewn about randomly through them all) are corrupt. But I don't understand how this would come to be.

I can't copy the affected files using the finder or cp, either.

Disk Utility says that there are no problems with the disk/file system itself.

Any experts that can offer some advice? Any way to salvage what remains of my music?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Most likely if the case or cable is faulty, then the data on the disk IS corrupt. Disk Utility says everything is OK, becuase everything is OK. The disk is working normally and has no general problems. That doesn't mean that there isn't corrupted data on there.

Well, you have limited options.

Option 1: Purchase another case and see if you have the same problems.
    Option 2: Purchase another HD and see if you have problems with it.

I think your best bet is Option 1.