corrupt files in preferences folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by azscp, Mar 10, 2007.

1. azscp macrumors member

hi everyone. I need some help today.

Earlier today my dock wouldn't pop-up from its hidden position. This has happened in the past and the only way to get it to work again was to restart my computer.

Since I know something isn't right I decided to call apple for help. But before I did I was navigating around and noticed that my preferences folder(home folder-library-preferences) had a ton of corrupt files in it.

The problem is isolated to the admin user account.

I was told by one of the apple reps to drag the folder onto the desktop and reboot the computer and in doing so this would reset the preferences folder. Well, I did that and corrupt files are still showing up in the new preferences folder. I'm wondering if this is still happening because I still have the original preferences folder on my desktop?

How do I get rid of corrupt files? And how can I keep this from happening?

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Steve

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What do you mean by "a ton of corrupt files"? How do you determine they are corrupted?

3. azscp thread starter macrumors member

file names like...¸pê?8ø??Ć~a|êŸ

I just opened the "preferences' folder the apple rep asked me to drag to the desktop and I maximized it so I can view 8 files across and 10 files down. A total of 80 files showing and of the 80 all had crap like...¸pê◊8øˇfiĆ~a|êŸ. And there is over 300 folders and 250 files. Not all are corrupt but the majority of them are.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What system are you running? What apps/hacks/plugins do you have running in the admin account? Does there seem to be a recurring theme in the corrupt files naming schemes? :)

5. azscp thread starter macrumors member

OS X 10.4.8

can you help me to locate this info? im new to mac.

not sure. they all are just a bunch of jibberish.

the newest thing that happened tonight is that my imac is in some sort of monochromatic mode. the color is off but only on my main account.

are there viruses on macs now that they've changed over to intel chips? im sad because i thought these were pretty tough machines.

thanks for any help
    steve

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well I can't really tell you where to look for plugins and so on because they could be anywhere. Do you remember installing anything to modify your system in any way? What apps are you running? If you go to the Universal Access pane of System Preferences, is Grayscale selected? :)

7. azscp thread starter macrumors member

you crazy jew you. Universal Access, enhanced contrast was maxed out.

thanks for restoring my love of macs

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. You just need to give us a lift of third party applications and we might be able to fix this preference thing for you too. :)

9. osirisX macrumors regular

If there are empty folders with names like pê?8ø??Ć~a|êŸ in your preferences folder they are being created by Photoshop. For some reason each time Photoshop starts it creates one of these weird folders. It has something to do with the TWAIN driver. CS3 doesn't seem to do this though.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting... I don't get that with Photoshop 7, but interesting to know nonetheless. :)

11. osirisX macrumors regular

I'm not sure about CS but CS2 deffinatly does it. You end up with heaps of empty folders junking up the place and you have to go in and manually delete them.