Corrupt images not so corrupt?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the1sttransport, Feb 24, 2007.

1. the1sttransport macrumors member

I have photos on my computer (from assorted crappy digital cameras of friends) and occasionally I'll notice some are corrupted, with about half of the image (bottom half in every case) grayed out in a complete gray solid color.

However, when looking at these images in finder, the built in preview shows the image COMPLETE, with the gray areas not apparent. Problem is, this is just a thumbnail, and an extremely low resolution. Double clicking the file opens the image at fullr esolution, complete again with half gray corruption.

Any idea on how to bring back the image at full resolution? I suppose this means the image information is there SOMEWHERE, right?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not necessarily; it depends on where the preview is coming from, but some image formats include a thumbnail that could be fine when the image itself was corrupt.

More often, in my experience, some programs are better at dealing with corruption than others; where Preview might just be giving up after the first bad block, another app may be able to salvage data after it so there's only a small glitch.

Perhaps try opening them in GraphicConverter and see if it can pull out something useable.