Corrupted CD, any help is welcome!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nym, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Hi everyone, I know this question is a little stupid but 2 years ago I backed up several pictures and stuff onto a regular CD which I stored in a safe place, I have only used the backup CD 2 times until yesterday, I picked up the CD, loaded it in my iMac and it takes like 3/4m for OSX to recognize the CD and it doesn't let me acess any of the files in it. I guess the CD got damaged without me doing anything!

My question is: What would you do? Do you know any "life-saving" techniques to clean a CD or something to bring it back to life? Any ideas? Any? :) thx in advance.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried a dirfferent machine? just to make sure it's the cd not the computer

3. Nym thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nym

Yes, I've tried in a PC, and my iMac reads fine all other discs, I just can't understand how a CD can "destroy" itself :) And I've looked closely to the read surface and it's not even scratched or anything.

Strange...

4. tsvb macrumors 6502

CDs can go bad. :(

The dye used on some cd-rs is better than others. If you go with a cheaper brand of cd-r the less time you have!

5. Nym thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nym

I was thinking of cleaning it with a moist towel.. but that would probably do worst..
    I guess that at this moment anything is acceptable since the data is already corrupted right? lol... crap :(

6. Nym thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nym

7. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's not a joke, the shelf life of tap is much longer than optical media.

To the OP, You might be able to recover some or all of the data if you try and read the disc at low level with a tool like dd which is available from Terminal. Create a raw image of the disc and then try to use a picture recovery tool like jpgstrip (assuming they are JPEG pictures).

B