corsair RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by regre7, Jun 20, 2006.

1. regre7 macrumors 6502

I'm buying a BlacBook in a couple of weeks (waiting for the next paycheck!), and I'd really love to upgrade the RAM to 2GB, but I don't want to pay Apple's premium. In reading around the forums, I've come to regard Corsair ValueSelect as "basic, generic quality" (CanadaRAM). I'm not doing anything mission-critical, so that's good enough for me (if that's all). I've been reading the reviews on NewEgg for their 1GB stick for MacBooks, and it seems to fail quite often, but only on MacBook Pros. I didn't see any failures on MacBooks (or maybe I didn't look close enough). Also, NewEgg says that it has a lifetime manufacturer warranty. I assume this means that if it happens to fail in my BlacBook, I can send it back to Corsair and recieve a new one free of charge, right?

I don't want to spend $200 on some memory then have it fail and not be able to return it. I'd love to get the Crucial memory, but it's just a bit out of my price range.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It has a lifetime manufacturer's warranty alright. If the module doesn't work in your Mac, you pay the shipping charges, they will replace it with the same type of module. Note that the warranty still does not guarantee that you will receive a module that works properly in your Mac. Neither NewEgg nor Crucial guarantee compatibility. If you want to return it for a refund, NewEgg has the ability to charge you 15% restocking plus the shipping charges.

Why wouldn't you consider guaranteed compatible RAM from a reputable vendor like OWC or Data Memory Systems, as has been recommended my MR readers many times?

Take the hint...

3. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll look into the other ones. It just kills me to be spending every dime I earn!

4. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. What scared me off from "good" RAM is the $150 Crucial stick. I'm looking at OWC (at least I hope so, the domain is macsales.com), and they've got a matched pair of DDR2-667 200 pin SO-DIMM modules for $220. Shipping is $3, so that's not bad.

I'm assuming that OWC has gotten good reviews all around?

5. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I'm starting to guess that that's a stupid question.

I've factored it in, and I'll be able to buy one 1GB stick when I buy the MacBook, and another later.