Cost and Quality of Hardware.. X360, Apple...

Discussion in 'Games' started by ericsthename, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ericsthename macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, I am wondering how many fellow gamers and Apple users would be willing to spend say, 10 percent more for their hardware if it was built and assembled in a "first world" nation (such as Can./US/Jap. or a country in the EU)? I know that I would certainly be willing to spend the extra knowing that my hardware was focused primarily on build quality and assembled with certain standards in place.

With Apple growing and adopting new markets, will quality remain a foremost priority? Do many Macrumors readers consider these issues when purchasing new electronics?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No. an extra 10% is a fair bit. The quality of the hardware I buy now is excellent. Apple and Nintendo hardware has never let me down (until my DS Lite today with a weak dpad). Motorola and Siemens phones, Canon cameras. All made abroad... hell is anything made in the UK anymore? Other than Bentley, TVR, Triumph and a few other car makes?

I'd rather the developing country got more money, give them a boost rather than take away from their growth.

Edit: and I do consider it an important factor when buying something new. Cheap/expensive. I don't care so long as it's built well. thats why I'm using an amplifer hifi system from the 70's (pops has the same thinking as me, i didn't buy it!), my NES still works, my iPod mini has been up mountains, bashed, knocked, splashed, dropped etc, without a scratch or damage. I tend to buy things that are built tough. built to last.

3. ericsthename thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough, but I must say that most hi-fi equipment from the '70s was either US or Japanese, and SNES and NES were both Japanese built and assembled systems wern't they? My Shanghai built MBP lasted about a month, and the record for 360's seems pretty shabby too, although mine has held up fine so far...

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've really no idea. My amp was made in Japan, under a British company. um. All the Nintendo stuff I think is Japan too. meh. iPod is definitely China isn't it?

I don't care who builds it. I'm not patriotic or dislike any other country. so long as I get my goods for the best price possible I'm chuffed.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Not to turn this into an economics discussion, though that's really what it is, but we are rapidly moving towards a global economic system. Now, I'm not really stupid enough to say that everything's going to be all equal and there won't be any more poverty/third-world stuff like that. There will always be the rich and the poor (standards of wealth may change though).

I think that with the internet, things have definitely moved to where the divisions of nationalities have become [more] blurred. Take MR for example. There are people from all corners of the world, and rarely do I even remember or care who is my "neighbor" and who is half-way across the world from me.

So while I do focus on the quality of the things I buy, especially when I'm spending more than a few bucks, I don't think I'd pay any extra to ensure that I bought it from one specific country.

6. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

$200 more for the base MBP? I'd take my risks and go to the Apple store a couple times if I have problems with it.