Cost of 15Gb iPod seems bizarre.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Catt, May 22, 2003.

1. Catt macrumors member

Ok in the UK the 10Gb iPod sells for £249.99 ($408.97) and the 15Gb iPod sells for £299.99 ($490.78).
    Now the 15Gb iPod comes with a case, the inline remote and the dock. The 10Gb iPod comes with none of these. To buy them separately would cost a total of: £87 ($142.33)
    This means to buy a 10Gb iPod with the same accersories as the 15Gb iPod would cost £336.99 ($551.37).
    So for 5Gb more space you pay essentially £36.99 ($60.52) less!
    This is assuming of course you want/need these these extra accessories.

Does anyone know why Apple has priced the new iPods like this?

(All prices quoted include VAT at 17.5%)

Oh one more thing. Presumably ACC audio is only supported on Mac because Music Match can't encode ACC, would it be possible to get a third programme for PC that can encode ACC then download the ACC tunes to the iPod via Music Match or this impossible?

2. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, the 15 and 30 gig iPods are great deals. The 15 for the reasons you mentioned, the 30 because you get double the capacity for another $100. I don't understand why anyone would buy the 10 gig iPod.

You don't NEED to use AAC on an iPod ... why exactly do you want it for song ripped onto a PC? The quality is a bit better than MP3, but I don't think it's worth the trouble of the process you explained. AAC is not an Apple proprietary encoding format (it would more accurately be called MP4), so I'm sure there will be plenty of AAC encoding applications out shortly. Do not confuse AAC encoding with the proprietary Apple software lock that keeps you from playing Apple Music Store tracks on unauthorized computers.

One final thing ... while songs bought in the Apple Music Store cannot be played on non registered Macs, they can be played on an unlimited number of iPods. So if an AAC file is downloaded to your iPod manually from someone else's Mac ... or file traded ... it works just fine on the iPod.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Re: Cost of 15Gb iPod seems bizarre.

It's because Apple likes nice round selling prices Eg £249.99 is a penny short of £250 it's not like errr £214.37. The 10GB is the ipod that Apple upped the price of the most in the currency conversion. All of them cost about 5-10% more (pre tax) more than the US price but the 10GB is about 15% or so higher than it should be by just doing the conversion. You are correct - the 15GB is the better bang for pound at the UK prices.

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Pricing is to take advantage of those that have to buy a la carte due to financial constraints. This is a normal retail situation. This is also why you hear about most people buying the 15GB...

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

I bought the 10gb iPod, which is $300 in the States. 15gb is $400 but comes with $120 worth of accessories. (Case, Dock and remote - each sold separately for $40.) So yeah, 15 gb is a better deal.

I bought the 10 gb because I wanted an iPod and didn't need the 15 gb memory or the accessories. So I opted for the cheapest one. The only accessory I want is the case and I didn't like the one included with the 15gb.

I am hoping to find a good case for about $30. Then I'd be "saving" $70, so to speak...

I am sure this is a very well used marketing technique. In the States, gas prices are sort of like this. You'll see regular, premium and super and they are priced so that most people would get super instead of premium because the price difference won't be much. ("Ahh, it's only a few cents more to get the super compared to the premium... if we aren't getting regular, we might as well go for the super!")

This pricing should get people to drop $100 more and go for the 15gb instead of 10gb. I just wanted the cheapest iPod. All of my CDs added to less than 7gb, so I had no reason to spend that extra $100.

6. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

15gb is the best deal!

I'd go for the 15gb vers. too...
    the dock is a great option for connecting the iPod to a speaker system... It's also a cool desktop stand to connect iPod to the mac or just to charge...
    I never use the remote with my old iPod because it does not have a LCD screen and the cable is so long... I'm just a man with 185cm height!.. the remote's length + the earphone's length is twice as long as the distance from my pocket to my ears..

but anyway, the 15gb version of iPod is the best deal in my opinion.. with the same dimensions and the same weight why would you buy a 10gb one with all those accessories??

7. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

I also remember hearing about an iTunes in developement for PCs. So PC users can have a hit at the ITunes Store. Maybe AAC for the PC someday.

8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

OPRAH gave each member in her audience a 15g iPod earlier this week. So, if you were lucky, the cost of the 15g was free :(

9. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Holy cr@p that is :cool:

10. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Yeah I read about that on MacNN. Pretty cool.